Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What was that all about???

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 13th, 2010, 10:54 am

2001 A Space Odyssey - I gave up on it after about 15 mins, boring! Ditto Bridges of Madison County; both book and film were turgid p**p!
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon December 13th, 2010, 1:08 pm

[quote=""Telynor""] nearly anything that Mel Gibson has made, with the exception of Hamlet ...[/quote]

That was really an amazing performance, and an amazing film. But like you I can't abide anything else he's in. Its not his behavoir off screen (I have little time to worry about entertainers' lives) but his horrid choice of roles and movies.
Inception w/Leonardo DiCaprio
Dangerous Liasions w/John Malkovich
The Sting w/Robert Redford
I agree with you about Inception (but darn it had such promise!), but the other two? They were wonderful! How could you be confused by Sting?

There are movies tho that have had me shaking my head: Ronin, Adaptation, others that have a way over reaching plot and make no sense. But I figure to each his own. The movies I enjoy have a decent screenplay, interesting twists and turns, excellent acting, and a story that makes me think about it long after the movie is over.

Watching 2001 is best done if you and those around you are just a little bit high; just saying. (I read the book long before the movie came out, and it is quite wonderful)
Last edited by Ash on Mon December 13th, 2010, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 13th, 2010, 2:36 pm

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension -- this may have been a case of me not caring what happened which hampered my understanding of just what the heck was going on.

Time Bandits -- my best friend in high school loved this and dragged me to it. I spent the first 2/3 thinking it was a plotless mess, but then that last 3rd came along and that ending with Sean Connery showing back up and I could at least understand why she liked it so much even though I still can't watch the first half of it without being bored (but oddly swept away by the 2nd half).

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 13th, 2010, 4:44 pm

[quote=""Ash""]
There are movies tho that have had me shaking my head: Ronin, Adaptation, others that have a way over reaching plot and make no sense. [/quote]

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about Adaptation. I think most of Charlie Kaufman's films have no point.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon December 13th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Here are a few head scratchers.....Mulholland Drive.....Donnie Darko......From Dust to Dawn.....2001 Space Odyssey.....Lost Highway.....Brazil....Blair Witch Project.....Some were visually better than others.....Really disliked Blair Witch Project.....

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon December 13th, 2010, 5:28 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Oh yes. I'd forgotten about Adaptation. I think most of Charlie Kaufman's films have no point.[/quote]
I guess I'm one of the few people who liked Adaptation, but Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind annoyed the hell out of me. Loads of people love it. Beats me.

The Fountain had me rolling my eyes - as much with impatience as with confusion.

I remember going to see 2001 aged about 8 and being totally lost - and very bored. Don't know what my parents were thinking of!

I did a film studies course many moons ago, and had to sit through endless avant garde movies where nothing happened as well as suffering liberal doses of Jean Luc Godard and Ingmar Bergman, so I have developed a high tolerance for incomprehensibility. But pointlessness drives me nuts. Pretty art movies that don't go anywhere, like In The Mood For Love, annoy me much more than complex or arcane plots.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 13th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Re: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - I liked it, and had a bit of a crush on Peter Weller because of it.

Re: Time Bandits - I saw it when it was first out in theatres and while it freaked the young me out a bit, I still liked it, and when I finally got to share it with Harm when she was younger, she was like, eh. That disappointed me!

Two movies I really disliked:
Lost in Translation
Gosford Park

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon December 13th, 2010, 6:15 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Here are a few head scratchers.....Mulholland Drive.....[/quote]

Worst. Movie. Ever. It does make sense if you suffer through it to the very end but still not worth it.

The one that didn't make sense to me was "King Arthur". I know it was supposed to be a more realistic take on the legend and maybe it's just because I didn't know much about that time period (while being too familiar with the legend) but I just remember being very confused.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Tue December 14th, 2010, 4:40 am

[quote=""Mythica""]Worst. Movie. Ever. It does make sense if you suffer through it to the very end but still not worth it.

[/quote]

Wow...and I really loved Mulholland Drive. I've always wanted to see it a second time, but haven't got around to renting it. Everyone says it left them scratching their head, but as you say, it makes sense at the end. Well, it was perfectly clear to me anyway. Don't know why this film really appealed to me, but I just loved it. Then again, I loved Showgirls and watch it every time it comes on.

I too didn't understand 2001 and was quite bored with it. As for watching it a bit "high" as Ash says, well, I don't have a clue as to what being a bit "high" is like, even though I went to high school and college in the late 60's, early 70's. I've already mentioned that I've tried watching Dangerous Liasions 4 times, and can't get past the half way point without being totally lost. And the Sting...only saw it once, but I do get lost in movies with this type of premise. I remember trying to watch the original tv series of Mission Impossible. Watched it when it was airing in syndication Mon. to Friday. Every single day for a week, I'd give up after becoming so lost as to what was happening after about 20-30 minutes. I guess my mind just doesn't work that way.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue December 14th, 2010, 1:19 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Here are a few head scratchers.....Mulholland Drive.....Donnie Darko......From Dust to Dawn.....2001 Space Odyssey.....Lost Highway.....Brazil....Blair Witch Project.....Some were visually better than others.....Really disliked Blair Witch Project.....[/quote]

The Blair Witch Project had such great hype though - I really admired the marketing idea. It got kudos from me for originality!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”