Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thorn tree of Glastonbury....a sad tale

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun December 12th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Annis, I thought I read that they'd tried to do it sooner but the first one didn't survive. Still, that's a good question.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 13th, 2010, 7:26 am

It's possible to have your very own Glastonbury thorn tree :) I see there is a nursery which sells them.
http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/2008r ... ythorn.htm

The Glastonbury thorn is a native British hawthorn, but a variant because it flowers twice a year, in May as is usual in Britain, and again in December. In the Middle East hawthorns commonly flower in December instead of May, which may be how the idea that it came from that area arose. The hawthorn was sacred to the Celts, and Glastonbury was known to be a Druid centre. It's interesting to speculate that an observant druid may have originally noticed this hawthorn sport and nurtured it.

I rather like this comment
"In fact, the Hawthorn had been a sacred tree to pre-Christian religions for millennia, so the Glastonbury Thorn represents a symbolic and tangible link between the old and new belief systems."
Last edited by annis on Mon December 13th, 2010, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”