Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thorn tree of Glastonbury....a sad tale

chuck
Bibliophile

Thorn tree of Glastonbury....a sad tale

Post by chuck » Fri December 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm

The Thorn Tree a attributed to Joseph of Arimathea, was found chopped down....Authorities say it was vandalism....They are trying establish a motive....I'm sure there will be more information comming out later.....They are trying start the grafting process now to start another tree.....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 10th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I think the original trunk is still there, so it should grow again.
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri December 10th, 2010, 8:32 pm

That is great news.....

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri December 10th, 2010, 9:00 pm

When was Joseph of Arimathea in England?

Still, a sad thing to desecrate a landmark or an old tree. Doing both is very sad.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri December 10th, 2010, 9:53 pm

You know the old myth (or maybe it's true) that Joseph brought the holy grail to England.

Awful that someone cut it down, hope it can grow again!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 10th, 2010, 10:23 pm

How sad. Some people are just naturally destructive and can't resist destroying objects of historical value. For many years we had a historic tree on the top of One Tree Hill in Auckland (which famously received a mention in a U2 song). It eventually fell prey to vandals and couldn't be revived. A new tree has yet to be planted as a replacement - currently the hill is known as None Tree Hill!

Joseph of Arimathea was associated with many myths and legends, but the connection with Arthurian legend and the Holy Grail first appeared in Robert de Boron's 12th century work Joseph d'Arimathie, in which Joseph receives the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it with his followers to Britain. Later retellings of the story claim that Joseph of Arimathea himself travelled to Britain and became the first Christian bishop in the Isles. As the Holy Grail itself is a construct developed from the Cauldron of Plenty of Celtic mythology, it's probably safe to regard this story as fiction :) It doesn't diminish the value of the thorn tree as a legendary symbol.
Last edited by annis on Sun December 12th, 2010, 7:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Sat December 11th, 2010, 8:46 pm

How very sad. There's more about it here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ndals.html
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat December 11th, 2010, 9:25 pm

I like that idea that it flowered twice a year (at Christmas and Easter). Interesting bit here:
Experts had verified that the tree – known as the Crategus Monogyna Bi Flora – originated from the Middle East.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 12th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I hate this stuff. Why would anyone do that? I'm sure it was a strike against religion and not history.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 12th, 2010, 6:56 pm

I love the bit about the local people regrowing the tree from pieces of its root after Cromwell's soldiers hacked the original tree down. I wonder if there are still some of those revived 17th century thorn trees in Glastonbury gardens? I'm curious, though, about why it took so long (1951) to replant one of these trees in the original spot.

Return to “Chat”