Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holiday Postcard Exchange Show and Tell

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 18th, 2010, 3:41 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh that's gorgeous. I love the Sonoran desert, especially when the catcus (cacti?) are blooming.[/quote]

One cactus, two cacti. Except for the new generation who don't bat an eye when they say 'two cactuses'. I even see it used that way in the newspapers. Bowlderized English, SW style....

Glad that one arrived safely. Despite my complaints in the summer, the desert really is a beautiful place. Most people hear desert and think barren wasteland. The Sonora desert is anything but. Thats what I loved about that photo.

The next one you get will likely knock your socks off. Enjoy!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 18th, 2010, 3:45 am

[quote=""EC2""]. The dog and man are Wallace and Grommit. Have you ever come across them before? Quintessentially English. If you've never seen them before, I would suggest watching either A Close Shave, or their full length feature film The Curse of the Were Rabbit (one of my favourite films ever!) This is the USA trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=566_PBg6 ... re=related[/quote]

Oh my gawd I don't think we ever laughed harder than the first time we saw A Grand Day Out. We've seen every one made and hope more are in the works. (I gottta say tho that the full length feature for me was not as good as the shorts; tho that first scene with him waking up was priceless)

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun December 19th, 2010, 6:52 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Here's my card from Miss Moppet in London! (Thank you!) I'm sure many HFO members will recognize the people depicted here. The painting is by Hippolyte Delaroche, from the Wallace Collection.

The postage stamp with a portrait of Mary II was another really nice touch![/quote]

My pleasure, Ariadne! I was lucky with the stamp. I had to take the card to the post office to be weighed and was very pleased that the correct stamp was one of their historical ones!

Here are some rooms from the Wallace Collection.

And the cafe:

Well worth a visit if you are in London - it's free of charge and slightly off the beaten track, so not as crowded as some galleries.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun December 19th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Thanks for those additional photos! What ornate chandeliers and richly colored wall coverings. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of the Wallace Collection before this, though I've been to other galleries in London. I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm there.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 20th, 2010, 11:47 am

Yay! Mine, from Ariadne, arrived this morning!
A picture of the Lincoln Log Cabin in her town of Lerna, Illinois.
Thanks so much!

Here it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon December 20th, 2010, 1:31 pm

You're welcome, SPB! Glad it got there so quickly. The Lincoln Log Cabin is about 10 miles away, a living history village that depicts life on the Illinois prairie circa 1840s. I live in an unincorporated part of the county partway between Charleston and Lerna. The village of Lerna, where the cabin is, has a population of about 300 people. I've got another old-timey photo of the cabin at the top of my blog.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 20th, 2010, 3:48 pm

The Wallace Collection is one place I keep meaning to visit, and never have done, despite only living about 40 mins' journey away on the underground, and working down the road from it for nearly 15 years! Just shows you don't visit what's practically on your doorstep.....
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon December 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm

The second card from Ash arrived today - several days after the first. A beautiful Arizona sunset! What a fabulous part of the world. What's the dog creature in the 'O' ? A wolf?

[img][IMG]http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz24 ... rizona.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon December 20th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Probably a coyote. When I lived in Nevada as a kid we used to hear them howl at night. :)

Nevada has pretty sunsets, as well, and I remember being told it was due to the dust in the air. Don't know if it's true but it sounds logical, since the desert states have the most beautiful sunsets and also the most dust. ;)
Last edited by Michy on Mon December 20th, 2010, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Probably a coyote. When I lived in Nevada as a kid we used to hear them howl at night. :)

Nevada has pretty sunsets, as well, and I remember being told it was due to the dust in the air. Don't know if it's true but it sounds logical, since the desert states have the most beautiful sunsets and also the most dust. ;) [/quote]

We'll wait for Ash, but I'd say coyote as well. You see that image all over the t-shirts and stuffed animals.

Yes it is beautiful there but danged hot in the summertime and it doesn't cool off hardly a lick in the nighttime. Believe it or not, despite the desert image that always comes to mind AZ has a fair share of mountainous region.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Chat”