Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holiday Postcard Exchange Show and Tell

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 15th, 2010, 3:12 am

[quote=""Divia""]I can't find any around here! :mad: The places that used to sell them no longer do. I think I'll take a pic of the area and send taht instead. I'm so disappointed.[/quote]

I know what you mean, they aren't that easy to find. We had a postcard exchange with some friends at Goodreads and I found some at Fred Meyer (which I'm sure you don't have), but outside of that and Made In Washington one would have to go downtown and/or a tourist destination to find one (and a healthy drive to get there to boot).
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 15th, 2010, 4:00 am

[quote=""Misfit""] I found some at Fred Meyer (which I'm sure you don't have)[/quote] I remember those from my childhood and teen years. :) I think they're only in OR and WA.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:10 am

I was lucky that I found a whole rack of postcards at the newsagents in the local big shopping centre. The problem I had was finding one of a historical building that I liked. Most postcards from here are either scenery (lovely) or the local weird wildlife. :)

I'm pleased that the card arrived safely! Always a concern about sending stuff OS at this time of the year that it'll arrive on time.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed December 15th, 2010, 10:56 am

I checked the big grocery chain that used to have em. They stopped carrying them.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 15th, 2010, 11:56 am

[quote=""ejays17""]I was lucky that I found a whole rack of postcards at the newsagents in the local big shopping centre. The problem I had was finding one of a historical building that I liked. Most postcards from here are either scenery (lovely) or the local weird wildlife. :)

I'm pleased that the card arrived safely! Always a concern about sending stuff OS at this time of the year that it'll arrive on time.[/quote]

Thanks for that effort to find a historical building.

Divia, do you have any local hotels close by? Usually the upscale ones have gift shops of some sort.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 15th, 2010, 1:14 pm

CVS didn't carry them (the girl who I asked looked at me like I was from another planet). Found them at Walgreens, a nice selection.

I haven't scanned mine yet - will have to wait till next week. School is crazy busy, and I have about a million things to do before Friday afternoon. ....

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu December 16th, 2010, 10:10 am

I got both of mine today - very pleased!

I haven't been to the US, but that's the holiday plan for next year. The piccie of Yosemite is definately inspiring me to visit there (as well as the 1001 other places on my "wish-list".

I'll post scans of mine when I have access to a scannner - my one hasn't been connected for 18 months (since we moved house :) ) and it didn't work very well before i disconnected it.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 16th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Yosemite is gorgeous, but rather crowded at times ;)

I've sent mine in yesterday's post.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 16th, 2010, 8:50 pm

ejays -- glad you liked them. :) Believe it or not, I've only ever been to Yosemite in the winter. The downside of that is that rock-climbing, hiking and camping are off-limits, of course (which aren't my cuppa tea, anyway, so I don't care). The upside is that there are practically no tourists! And there is a neat outdoor ice-skating rink. :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu December 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Gave up on finding a postcard, I'm just using an envelope. :o

Return to “Chat”