Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

I got about halfway through The Anatomy of Ghosts before giving it up now reading The Hidden Shore, by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles--a good comfort read on a very cold day here.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 10:27 pm

I'm technically supposed to be head & shoulders into my practice report for my credentials, but a girl's got to change the mental scenery sometime!

So, in addition to the dry-as-dust course material, I'm reading James Morrow's The Philosopher's Apprentice. So far, it is appallingly un-put-downable. :eek: The premise is that a bunch of ECE people, psychologists and a philosophy grad are (unbeknownst to one another) drafted to tutor some rich woman's kid who has fallen on her head and achieved amnesia and a total clearing of the ethical slate; only to discover that the kid in question isn't the only one, and is a genetic experiment. Things go from weird to weirder to worse, and I desperately want to be done with this book, but I find myself musing on "what next" instead of doing my homework. In terms of plot twists, this book strongly resembles a corkscrew, but the nice thing is, I no longer can see around any of his corners.

Does anyone else have experience with this author?
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat December 4th, 2010, 10:18 am

Just about to start Remarkable Creatures by Tracey Chevalier and hoping I enjoy it more than Burning Bright

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat December 4th, 2010, 4:59 pm

[quote=""Lauryn""]
Does anyone else have experience with this author?[/quote]

James Morrow is one of my favorite authors! I've read everything he's written except the Philosopher's Apprentice, his latest. He's a brilliant satirist best known in the SF/F community where he's won most of their awards. He did a HF book The Last Witchfinder a few years ago which I really enjoyed. I did an extensive interview with him several years ago, just after the third book in his Godhead Trilogy came out. You can read the whole thing at my website (http://faithljustice.com/writers-resources.htm) --author shortcuts are on the right--if you're interested.

As to what I'm reading...finished Hypatia of Alexandria: Mathematician and Martyr, biography by math professor Michael A. B. Deakin. Review coming soon. The World Without Us a nonfiction book about what would happen to the world if humans suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth. Still working on Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough. Started it last month, but put it down when I went on vacation and didn't want to haul a chunky hardback. Is it time for a Kindle?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 4th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Love and War by John Jakes
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat December 4th, 2010, 11:41 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've finished "Elizabeth's Women: Friends, Rivals, and Foes Who Shaped the Virgin Queen" by Tracy Borman (437pgs, 2009).* A really interesting and excellent book, well written and insightful. It confirmed my belief that Elizabeth was quite the bitca, especially when it came to her women and female "heirs" to the throne. I highly recommend this book.

SM[/quote]

I read this in summer and I agree with you, she sounds like an overbearing madam. There was one part where she stabbed her lady in waiting's hand for being clumsy and the poor girl had to make up a cover story for why her hand was in bandage. It seems Elizabeth was not above a bit of domestic violence.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 5th, 2010, 2:11 am

Been reading Doonesbury Retrospective (well, it is forty years of history, in comics :) Just picked up Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, which isn't really HF, but got rave reviews from friends of mine.

I've decided I must get the new Cleopatra bio - the author was amazing on the Daily Show, and I usually love books that Stewart is that enthusiastic about.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Sun December 5th, 2010, 5:00 am

I finished Costain's The Black Rose and enjoyed it very much.

Now I'm on to my first James Lee Burke book, The Neon Rain, since my father has been recommending them to me for years now. Enjoying it so far and now I see why people are always talking about his "lyrical prose". He does give very creative descriptions to everything.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun December 5th, 2010, 8:40 am

Finished 'Angelique and the Sultan' by Sergeanne Golon and now reading 'Definitely Dead' by Charlaine Harris :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun December 5th, 2010, 11:33 am

I'm still reading The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. The author seems to have a fixation about the word 'lavatory' as it's mentioned every other page!!! I know it's the correct word but I do so hate it!! I'm also starting to wonder if there's a reason why it's mentioned so much........
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”