Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eleanor of Aquitaine

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Eleanor of Aquitaine

Postby diamondlil » Wed September 10th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Eleanor did go on crusade, and there were rumours of her having a relationship with her uncle, but they have mostly been dismissed now.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed September 10th, 2008, 11:03 pm

"diamondlil" wrote:Eleanor did go on crusade, and there were rumours of her having a relationship with her uncle, but they have mostly been dismissed now.

Alison Weir says Eleanor did have relations with her uncle - based on one very dubious chronicler who was most likely lying through his teeth to give Eleanor a bad name. Which is why I read Weir with a huge pinch of salt!
Has anyone read the Eleanor of Aquitaine novel Power of a Woman? Forgotten who it's by.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed September 10th, 2008, 11:11 pm

"EC2" wrote:Is that the Ellen Jones book Misfit - Beloved Enemy? Not read it, but I've heard about it. Jean Plaidy based a novel on that premise too. It's all down to some comment in a chronicle where Stephen says something loving towards Henry and it's been (wilfully) misconstrued by modern mindset. A bit like trendy historians at one time saying Richard I was gay because he shared a bed with Philip of France.

That's the book. Rumor or not about Eleanor it was very eewwww the way it was portrayed in the book.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Thu September 11th, 2008, 12:38 am

Has anyone read the Eleanor of Aquitaine novel Power of a Woman?

I haven't read it. But it looks like Robert Fripp is the author.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Thu September 11th, 2008, 2:13 am

One of my favorite Eleanor novels (aside from the Penman books) is Judith Tarr's Queen of Swords. The book itself is really about the crusade as seen through the eyes of the Byzantines in the area, but there is a great bit of Eliz leading the army into battle

My fav non fiction is Amy Kelly's Eleanor and the Four Kings. I don't remember any mention of a relationship with her uncle; I suspect like many bright, powerful and outspoken women, rumors flew around her unchecked.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Thu September 11th, 2008, 6:07 am

I read The Plantagenet Prelude by Jean Plaidy and it also says that Eleanor went on a crusade and had a relationship with her uncle !

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Thu September 11th, 2008, 6:10 am

Eleanor is one of my favourite historical characters!

I think she makes mention of the Uncle in The Lion in Winter too. Though the writer of that play seemed to like to bring in all the salacious gossip.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:06 pm

I've read Plaidy's Courts of Love and it also has Eleanor having a relationship with her uncle.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:52 pm

"Ash" wrote:One of my favorite Eleanor novels (aside from the Penman books) is Judith Tarr's Queen of Swords. The book itself is really about the crusade as seen through the eyes of the Byzantines in the area, but there is a great bit of Eliz leading the army into battle

I have that book so I'm so glad to hear that!! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Melisende
Reader

Postby Melisende » Thu September 11th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Then I don't recommend the novel "The Tiger & The Rose" by Richard Cameron Low, who not only says that she went on crusade but also infers (in the novel) that:

1. she was a virgin at the time - not true
2. she had an affair with a Kurd called Ayub at Antioch, the resultant offspring being Saladin himself! - far from true (i guess that beats the uncle theory!)
3. that Henry met Rosamund in the early stages of his marriage to Eleanor and fell in love with her then - though the "affair" takes place much later.

let's hear some more wild theories on Eleanor in fiction or non-fiction!
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

Return to “Later Medieval”