Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I love Foreign films

chuck
Bibliophile

I love Foreign films

Post by chuck » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 6:02 am

While getting ready to watch "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"....I saw a couple of films on the preview trailers....2009 "Taras Balba" a Russian film...and 1999"With Fire and Sword" a Polish film....Both looked very impressive....Alas Netflix does not stock them....Any Ideas where they might be available....I will check Google, Amazon....I have a feeling their not available in the U.S....BTW GWTDT was excellent..Compelling and disturbing film...Will be watching the sequel very soon...."The Girl who Played with Fire"....P.S. now that I think about it, I might have seen the preview trailers on "Arn..The Templar Knight"......

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

Im another foriegn film fan, fell in love with them in college (think King of Hearts, My Life as a Dog, Paradisio, Nosferatu) and later il Postino and Graveyard of the Fireflies. What was that French one about the young girl, very charming, reminded me of Gigi, from just a few years ago? - the title is her name. Anyway, delightful, moving viewing experiences. I have no trouble reading from captions; on these films, after a few minutes I was so taken by the drama that I didn't even realize I was reading. There've been others I didn't care for - the Bergman films bored me, for a start. I don't see as many as I used to, even tho I get the IFC channel. What are some of your favorits?

I probably won't see GWDT, because the books hit me so hard, I don't think I could add to the images in my head without doing damage! But I've heard they are all excellent. Im rather disheartened that Hollywood would do remakes; I somehow don't think they will be near as good, tho I know many people can't or won't read captions.

Thinking about it I suspect my love for those dovetails with my love for silent movies. Also captioned of course - the best ones are timeless: Sunrise, The General, Gold Rush, Greed...
Last edited by Ash on Mon November 22nd, 2010, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 1:36 pm

Chuck, do you mean "Taras Bulba" adapted from Gogol's story about the Ukrainian Cossacks?

"Fire and Sword" is an adaptation from Sienkiewicz's trilogy, but would be about as easy to get ahold of in the US as the book it is adapted from.

Ash, are you thinking of "Amélie" with Audrey Tautou?

Some of my favorite foreign films:
I love Tom Tykwer's films, especially "Run Lola Run" (which I just re-watched recently... I never tire of it).

I could list others, but no doubt people on this board have seen them all and probably are much more into the cinematic arts scene than I am. I get tired of having to persuade my husband to use the subtitles for foreign films (can't stand the dubbing).

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 3:59 pm

Hi Ash....Took some film classes in College...Like you I fell in love with them....I have many favorites... Here's a few...Jules and Jim...The Bicycle Thief ...The Knife in the Water....Cinema Paradiso....Babette's Feast....More later...Re: Foreign Films...Most of them are so visually beautiful..The whole film/story slows down for me....Usually a great soundtrack....Attractive and unusual looking actors....And I'm always interested exploring on film the Country it takes place in....I will check back later....I'm getting ready to paint the upper and lower hallways...Yes...I live a life of a working peasant....with this economy one step from being a serf.....

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 4:21 pm

Ludmilla....Yes .. Taras Bulba and Fire and the Sword....Hard to find?...That's what I'm afraid of ....I must admit I don't have much knowledge of Eastern Europe's and their very interesting history.....Watching a couple films I thought might help me grasp some of the cultural and political complexities.....Back in the day I saw "Taras Bulba" starring Yul Brynner, Tony Curtis, and Christine Kaufman....Very Hollywoodish....and Tony Curtis as New Yorker, Andrei Bulbas....please....And the very manly Brynner (sort of)looked the part of a Cossack.....Dreadful film.... BTW maybe a thread could be developed to discuss Foreign films/Silent Films....BTW In College I read Henry Sienkiewicz's "Teutonic Knights....Took me forever to finish.....I should pick it up and read it again ....
Last edited by chuck on Mon November 22nd, 2010, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 6:03 pm

If there are two 'foreign' films that you MUST see (and you have to watch both, or you'll miss the great ending!), they are : 'Jean de Floret' and 'Manon des Sources.' These French films (with subtitles) star Gerard Depardieu, Yves Montand, Daniel Auteuil and Emmanuelle Beart.

Absolutely wonderful!

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm

I have in my permanent collection the great heist film Rififi, French Can Can with Jean Gabin, La Ronde, Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night, The Tango Bar with Raul Julia, Saura's Carmen and Tango.

Three I saw in the 1950s but are not available in the USA are: He Who Must Die based on Kazantzakis' The Greek Passion directed by Dassin; Vadim's No Sun in Venice available only in France as Sont on Soliel with a brilliant score by the MJQ, and Heroes and Sinners with Yves Montand, Maria Felix, and Gert Frobe.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

chuck
Bibliophile

FF

Post by chuck » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 7:32 pm

[quote=""Ken""]If there are two 'foreign' films that you MUST see (and you have to watch both, or you'll miss the great ending!), they are : 'Jean de Floret' and 'Manon des Sources.' These French films (with subtitles) star Gerard Depardieu, Yves Montand, Daniel Auteuil and Emmanuelle Beart.

Absolutely wonderful![/quote]

Hello Ken...Isn't "Babette's Feast" part those great films?....Yes they are outstanding and stunningly beautiful films and my favorite list....

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 7:41 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Back in the day I saw "Taras Bulba" starring Yul Brynner, Tony Curtis, and Christine Kaufman....Very Hollywoodish....and Tony Curtis as New Yorker, Andrei Bulbas....please....And the very manly Brynner (sort of)looked the part of a Cossack.....Dreadful film.... [/quote]

That's kind of like John Wayne and Susan Hayward in the leading roles of The Conqueror (about Genghis Khan)... but in all fairness to the Hollywood of those days, I don't think they had too many authentic, ethnic casting choices.

Speaking of Genghis, if you haven't seen the Russian production Mongol about the first half of Genghis Khan's life, it's quite good and one of those beautifully shot films.

Another foreign film I really liked -- perhaps because I like the actor, Sebastian Koch -- was The Lives of Others (surveillance in East Germany before the fall of the wall). Koch also had a role in the Dutch film, Black Book, which was a fun WWII thriller (though with some cheesy plot contrivances, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of it).

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 8:05 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Hello Ken...Isn't "Babette's Feast" part those great films?....Yes they are outstanding and stunningly beautiful films and my favorite list....[/quote]

No, Chuck,

Babette's Feast is a Danish film, nothing to do with the filming of Marcel Pagnol's literary masterpieces. Find them and watch them! Cheers!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”