Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Palin Common Sense Stupidity

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:00 pm

[quote=""MLE""]

Are there no political forums where people can rant on these topics to their heart's content?[/quote]
Isn't this it? What else would a "Debate Forum" be for?

[quote=""MLE""]The only thing I always notice when politics come up is that the run of the mill conservative forum member is more tolerant, or at any rate more considerate.[/quote]
Who are these mythic run of the mill conservative forum members? And who exactly is being intolerant and inconsiderate?

Or does expressing an opinion that you disagree with count as "inconsiderate"?

A Confused Brit. :confused:
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Chuck, I may live in the Midwest, but I did not limit the obervation to Midwesterners. Also that comment was in response to Ash's doubt of Palin's support being as high as 50% of the population. But you bring up another interesting facet: rural vs urban.

Leo, they aren't mythic. They just tend not to label liberals with remarks about their "stupidity." As if someone who has a different point of view is stupid.

The issue taken was not with the subject, but the way it was brought up.
Last edited by LoveHistory on Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Leo, I always assumed that a debate thread on a historical fiction forum was to debate topics related to history, fiction, or books. Example, the thread on who killed the princes in the tower. Or how much description in a book is too much. Especially since we are international in membership, it seems that one country's political commentary doesn't fit the reasons for the forums existence, and puts a burden on mods who signed on to moderate HF-related stuff.

Your comment on the 'mythic' nature of conservative members reminds me of an anecdote from a memoir of a well-known newsman after the election of George Bush. People in the newsroom were sitting around, stunned. They could not figure out how this had happened. They started questioning each other as to whether they knew ANYONE who would vote for George Bush, and none of them did. They could not think of any friends, co-workers, neighbors, nobody.

The writer used this incident to point out how isolated liberals make themselves. Half the country voted for a conservative, and the people in the media were completely baffled as to who these people could be. Which is why, in answer to Ash's question, there are 'sides'.

I have plenty of liberal friends and associates. I used to be a flaming liberal myself. But I prefer not to discuss politics with them because while I want to discuss facts, on average, my left-leaning friends and family want to use labels. Bring in numbers, like statistician Arthur Brooks (Who Really Cares -- America's charity divide: who gives, who doesn't, and why it matters) and the conversation dissolves into one-sided name-calling, 'stupid' being a favorite epithet.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:56 pm

[quote=""chuck""]We just don't see eye to eye...I'm letting go of this Thread....Enough said....[/quote]

I thought that's what "debating" is all about. If you discuss your POV with someone who agrees with you that's hardly debating, is it? :confused:

Which is why I don't discuss political issues. I don't mind debating non-controversial and intellectual topics, and even a (very) few social issues. But when it comes to politics and the environment and other hot-button topics, "debating" too quickly turns into flame-throwing, name-calling, mud-slinging, etc. etc. etc., none of which I find entertaining.

So why am I even on this thread, then? I don't know, I'm wondering that myself...... :p I think I took a wrong turn somewhere! :eek:

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:20 pm

In response to the term 'meme', here is a useful link

http://csmt.uchicago.edu/glossary2004/meme.htm

Its basically a term from media studies; when I have heard it used, it means a concept that people believe to be true, but reading the above link I see it has other meanings.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I have no opinion on Sarah Palin or politics in general (I'm an apolitical creature at heart).

I do, however, have strong feelings about the overuse/misuse of the word "meme" across the internet. Once people start using it casually I almost immediately start to dismiss the entire content of their post -- I hate the usage so much!

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri November 19th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Meme, trope, and flounce have become internet clichés in my opinion. They add nothing of value to our language.

Regarding political debates on these sites, at work, or in living rooms, it is a rare individual these days who can disagree without resorting to ad hominem attacks instead of arguing policy. Finally, I do not care one way or another about offending a potential reader if I make a political statement. In my experience over the years, I have lost friends while debating the merits of ballerinas, opera singers, and authors.

I must now take into account the emotional maturity of the person with whom I am discussing anything these days. Education level is no guarantee of that.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

chuck
Bibliophile

Pov

Post by chuck » Fri November 19th, 2010, 8:13 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Chuck, I may live in the Midwest, but I did not limit the obervation to Midwesterners. Also that comment was in response to Ash's doubt of Palin's support being as high as 50% of the population. But you bring up another interesting facet: rural vs urban.

Leo, they aren't mythic. They just tend not to label liberals with remarks about their "stupidity." As if someone who has a different point of view is stupid.

The issue taken was not with the subject, but the way it was brought up.[/quote]

I should have Quoted "Common Sense Stupidity"....It was not my thought.......Heard or read it somewhere.....But do check out a few of her excerpts from Palin's "America by Heart"....I rest my case.....

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 10:17 pm

You never made a case, and actually I have no interest in reading her book.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat November 20th, 2010, 3:58 am

My case originally was.... Palin's new book and the few excerpts released by her publisher....

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”