Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reader's Digest Condensed Book Anthologies

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Reader's Digest Condensed Book Anthologies

Post by Ludmilla » Wed November 17th, 2010, 8:02 pm

I've been going through some of our old books, trying to decide what to keep and what to purge. We have nearly a dozen of these old Reader Digest Condensed Book Anthologies that came from my husband's grandmother. I really don't want to keep them, doubt they are worth anything, but have no clue if there is a collector's market out there for them. Does anyone know if they are worth selling or trading? Am I better off just donating them?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 17th, 2010, 8:43 pm

I don't know about prices, but you might try checking prices via Google shopping (go to google and click on the shopping tab at the top left). Try searching by title and/or ISBN # if there is one. If people are listing them online it should find prices for you.

PS, Google shopping is a very cool tool when you need something and haven't a clue where to go to buy it. Happened with the batteries for the emergency lights at the office. Google shopped the part # and voila (!) we found a lighting store close by who stocked them.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed November 17th, 2010, 9:25 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I've been going through some of our old books, trying to decide what to keep and what to purge. We have nearly a dozen of these old Reader Digest Condensed Book Anthologies that came from my husband's grandmother. I really don't want to keep them, doubt they are worth anything, but have no clue if there is a collector's market out there for them. Does anyone know if they are worth selling or trading? Am I better off just donating them?[/quote]

At the annual book sale at which I volunteer (it got pushed off from this fall to February, rats!), we usually just separate these from the rest of the books. They don't seem to be very popular among the shoppers, if that's any indication.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 17th, 2010, 9:59 pm

My friend with the online used-book business just throws them away. There are too many out there for them to be worth anything.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 18th, 2010, 1:58 pm

That's pretty much what I've concluded (too many of them out there and not much interest or demand for them). I think these will go in the donation pile (can't quite bring myself to throw them away)... I'll probably give them to one of the ladies at work who collects items to send overseas to the troops.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu November 18th, 2010, 2:02 pm

I must be one of the few people who buys these. Not all of them, but if I see one at a sale that has something interesting I'll always get it.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu November 18th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Actually, I like Reader's Digest condensed books. They give me the opportunity to see if I like a new writer without spending too much time at it, and they clean up all the smut without removing the emotion. I have read quite a few of these in my day. Most of their picks are pretty good ones, too, even when they are not in my genre.

Over a decade ago, a family emergency meant that I had to spend several months away from home with a lot of time on my hands. The borrowed place had shelves and shelves of these, and I read more than half. The surprising thing is, Readers Digest did a better job selecting enjoyable reads for me than I average on my own! Or maybe they simply edited out the things that drive me nuts.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu November 18th, 2010, 10:04 pm

We had "Reader's Digest" in my old division at one time. During a weeding project last year, I found older editions going back to the 1920s. My former division chief decided to get rid of them as it was long past to be keeping them.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 18th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Most of ours are from the 40s, 50s, and 60s... I discovered some are Doubleday Best in Book anthologies instead of RD. Both seem to have a fair representation the year's bestsellers.

Return to “Chat”