Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prince William & Kate Middleton Are Finally Engaged

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri November 19th, 2010, 3:23 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Oh, dear. Here we go.[/quote]

You knew it was only a matter of time. But I must say, it wasn't much time, now was it?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Should be a short book.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Question... If it's Catherine with a "c" why is it Kate with a "k?" Is that a British thing?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:46 pm

There's already a book out on Kate call "Kate Middleton: Princess In Waiting" out this year, and then 4 years ago, "William's Princess: The Love Story that will Change the Royal Family Forever". When I heard about the first book, I couldn't help but think, they're not even engaged yet, maybe they won't get engaged, isn't this jumping the gun a bit?!

Andrew isn't the only one with a book coming out - "William & Kate: Celebrating a Royal Romance" by Robin Nunn in March 2011.

Catherine, as I believe her proper name will be, will be the 6th of that name (if and when she becomes Queen, I'm going to be pessimistic about this because everyone thought Diana would be Queen and we all know what happened there!).

The other Queen Catherines or Katherines were:
Catherine of Valois - Queen of Henry V
Catherine of Aragon - Queen of Henry VIII
Catherine Howard - ditto
Katherine Parr - ditto
Catherine of Braganza - Queen of Charles II

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:51 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Question... If it's Catherine with a "c" why is it Kate with a "k?" Is that a British thing?[/quote]

It might be. I've certainly never met a Cate - the only Cate I can think of is Cate Blanchett. On the other hand, the Catherines I know shorten their names to Cathy or Cath rather than Kate.

In other news, it looks like the laws of succession may be going to change, so that William and Kate's daughter could become Queen and would not be passed over in favour of a younger brother.

Not before time. The issue got skipped over in the last generation because Diana had two boys, but it's time it was addressed.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 6:54 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""] I'm going to be pessimistic about this because everyone thought Diana would be Queen and we all know what happened there[/quote]

Everyone except Diana herself. According to her own account (as told to Andrew Morton), when Charles proposed she had a premonition that she would never be Queen.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:06 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]
In other news, it looks like the laws of succession may be going to change, so that William and Kate's daughter could become Queen and would not be passed over in favour of a younger brother.

Not before time. The issue got skipped over in the last generation because Diana had two boys, but it's time it was addressed.[/quote]

Well it's about time that will change, but watch, they'll have a son first, so it'll be a moot point.

Sweden changed it's laws after they already had an older sister and a younger male heir, now the sister is the heir. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:13 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Well it's about time that will change, but watch, they'll have a son first, so it'll be a moot point.[/quote]

I can see that happening too.
SonjaMarie wrote:Sweden changed it's laws after they already had an older sister and a younger male heir, now the sister is the heir. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.
I read about that at the time of her wedding. Very awkward - this is why I think Britain should get the succession sorted out now, before Kate and Wills reproduce.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:33 pm

I have a niece named Catherine who is called Cate. But then she's not in England. :D

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 19th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Then there's Cate Blanchett - but she's an Aussie :)

Return to “Chat”