Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prince William & Kate Middleton Are Finally Engaged

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 9:02 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]..... And quite frankly if they want to start their family right away, the royal family should make a point of not requiring too much of her for a while. The last thing any woman needs when she's trying to concieve, or during pregnancy is stress. Maybe there's a history of difficulty concieving or difficult pregnancies in her family. We don't know the whole story here.
[/quote]

If she is a poor breeder than perhaps he should have chosen better peasant: stock. :p

I hope they dont jump right into having children, though given their age they may be ordered to. After all she is 28. How many good breeding years does she have. And she needs and heir and spare....and a few other spares just in case....
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 12:57 am

Better peasant stock. LOL, Divia.

A royal wedding does not come about in six months. They've probably had it mostly planned for quite some time.

And while the official engagement is recent, I think everyone in their circle was expecting it.

Let's remember that while Kate didn't have a trust fund she did work for her parents. What were the chances they would fire her? Ok, I see how that still does not make for a good role model.

Doesn't anyone remember what it's like to be young and in love? I say this, being all of six months older than William.

Why not have kids right away? They've been together for eight years. It's not like they're rushing into it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 4:28 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Better peasant stock. LOL, Divia.

A royal wedding does not come about in six months. They've probably had it mostly planned for quite some time.

And while the official engagement is recent, I think everyone in their circle was expecting it.[/quote]

Oh, i bet that they've had things planned for some time now; I dimly remember an interview where the Prince was stating that he had been carrying the engagement ring around for a bit, and was waiting for the right moment to pop the question, and he actually asked her to marry him some weeks before.

Goodness, the most important thing that Kate is going to be focusing on in the upcoming months is to get married, and learning her part as it were, and breeding up the next generation of Windsors. If she's smart, she'll look at how the late Queen Mother was to her husband, George VI and be a good friend and confidant and support to William. The QM was a terrific role model, and as it turns out, to be a very popular member of the family. So what if she had ridiculous hats? She knew what the public wanted and did her best to provide it, along with the mystique of royalty. I'd take that over the shenanigans of some of the Royals -- Fergie, poor idiot, comes to mind.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 4:35 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Fergie, poor idiot, comes to mind.[/quote]

Ok, that made me laugh, oye!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 2:03 pm

We have a date and venue! The wedding will be in Westminster Abbey on 29 April 2011. It will be a public holiday, too, in England, Wales and N. Ireland. Scotland is expected to follow suit!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 2:58 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]We have a date and venue! The wedding will be in Westminster Abbey on 29 April 2011. It will be a public holiday, too, in England, Wales and N. Ireland. Scotland is expected to follow suit![/quote]

Does anyone remember if there was an extra public holiday for Charles & Di or is this a new thing?

ETA: According to Heart Radio, 29th April is St Catherine's day.
Last edited by Miss Moppet on Tue November 23rd, 2010, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 3:41 pm

St. Catherine of Siena to be exact. According to the report I read this morning that point is coincidental only.

Despite her lack of role model status beforehand, I think Kate will be a wonderful princess in time.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 5:56 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Does anyone remember if there was an extra public holiday for Charles & Di or is this a new thing?

ETA: According to Heart Radio, 29th April is St Catherine's day.[/quote]

Yes, there was a public holiday for Charles and Di.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Darkest Evening" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed November 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm

yes apparently C & D's wedding was a holiday, but I was still at school at the time and it fell during school hols, so it didn't make any difference to me back then - definitely appreciate an extra day's holiday now though!
Currently reading: "The Darkest Evening" by Ann Cleeves

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu November 25th, 2010, 3:07 am

I just heard on ET that there is going to be a lotto for regular people to attend the wedding.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”