Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF and Music

wendy
Compulsive Reader

HF and Music

Post by wendy » Mon November 15th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Has your passion for history affected your choice of music? I have always loved albums that reflect this interest. I'm thinking of Lloyd Webber's "Evita" -
Rick Wakeman's "Myths and Legends of King Arthur" and "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" - "War of the Worlds" - "Spartacus" - "Chicago" - "Cabaret" - to name but a few.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 15th, 2010, 2:46 pm

Not really, but I've always been very eclectic. I like classical, country, pop, rock, alternative, some rap, some jazz, big band, doo-wop, latin, dance. I do sometimes find myself humming the scores from historical films though. :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon November 15th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Not in the least...But I enjoy a good soundtrack...."Good Fellas...The Godfather, Platoon, Gladiator, Laurence of Arabia, etc...etc....BTW I enjoy some music on the quiet side when I'm reading....

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Mon November 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Not in the least...But I enjoy a good soundtrack...."Good Fellas...The Godfather, Platoon, Gladiator, Laurence of Arabia, etc...etc....BTW I enjoy some music on the quiet side when I'm reading....[/quote]

I have to have silence when I'm reading or I can't concentrate. Interesting how we are all different!

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon November 15th, 2010, 7:44 pm

When I was in college...I demanded silence when studying...Ended up studying in the Library...Room mates.....

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 15th, 2010, 7:49 pm

A lot of Loreena McKinnitt's music has been inspired by books and poetry and places she has traveled to. The Book of Secrets and The Mask and the Mirror albums are two of my favorites. I have her concert DVD at the Alhambra as well, which is fantastic.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon November 15th, 2010, 8:14 pm

LMc music is very mystical....another Celtic lass I use to enjoy and still do....Enya

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Tue November 16th, 2010, 10:47 am

I'm a confirmed MetalHead. But when I write, I listen to film or TV soundtracks. I've got zillions of these and I find they really help!

Cheers

Russ

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 16th, 2010, 11:54 am

As a reader not at all.
I often think of songs and themes that explain the novel's characters and plotlines through works in my music collection, but my reading doesn't affect what I listen to. The only time I have consciously gone out to do this was when reading about Richard the Lionheart and I wanted to listen to the haunting song he wrote Ja Nus en Pris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DczZ_ZKb ... re=related

As a writer music is absolutely integral to my writing process and each novel goes to my agent and editor complete with a soundtrack. My taste is eclectic but runs to rock and hardcore metal as long as there's a part where I can sing along. Ludmilla, I agree re Loreena McKennit. Her version of Greensleeves is just spine chilling.
I don't actually write to music though. I listen to it away from the PC while doing mundane jobs around the house or at the gym and if a track speaks to me with an adrenalin burst, I know it's right for the book.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue November 16th, 2010, 1:27 pm

[quote=""EC2""]As a reader not at all.
I often think of songs and themes that explain the novel's characters and plotlines through works in my music collection, but my reading doesn't affect what I listen to. The only time I have consciously gone out to do this was when reading about Richard the Lionheart and I wanted to listen to the haunting song he wrote Ja Nus en Pris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DczZ_ZKb ... re=related

As a writer music is absolutely integral to my writing process and each novel goes to my agent and editor complete with a soundtrack. My taste is eclectic but runs to rock and hardcore metal as long as there's a part where I can sing along. Ludmilla, I agree re Loreena McKennit. Her version of Greensleeves is just spine chilling.
I don't actually write to music though. I listen to it away from the PC while doing mundane jobs around the house or at the gym and if a track speaks to me with an adrenalin burst, I know it's right for the book.[/quote]

What an interesting writing process! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Chat”