Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which PG book was this person after?

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon November 15th, 2010, 11:40 am

Yes it was wax! Didn't the baby turn out to be wax too and crumble?

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon November 15th, 2010, 5:36 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Yes it was wax! Didn't the baby turn out to be wax too and crumble?[/quote]

Yes. *shudder*
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Tue November 16th, 2010, 10:12 am

I had enjoyed reading The Wise Woman, a good dose of 16th century intrigue, sex, cruelty and witchcraft. But the candle wax baby scene ruined the rest of the book. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or be sick

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 2:51 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I am quite curious about that one, Looby, because I've read so many mixed reviews!

Thanks! Keep us posted. :D [/quote]

Just finished The Wise Woman. There was definitely plenty of sex (threesomes and otherwise) - no butter or lard - but plenty of oiling of naked bodies and candle wax. I found the book an interesting read (especially as I'm working on a witchcraft book myself) and although Alys was not an endearing character I did anticipate she would survive.

To those who have read the book - what did you think about the ending?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 19th, 2010, 5:57 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Just finished The Wise Woman. There was definitely plenty of sex (threesomes and otherwise) - no butter or lard - but plenty of oiling of naked bodies and candle wax. [/quote]

I reckon someone misremembered the wax as butter. Wax doesn't sound like the ideal lubricant to me, but perhaps I shouldn't knock it till I've tried it. Which will not be any time soon. :D

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri November 19th, 2010, 11:19 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I reckon someone misremembered the wax as butter. Wax doesn't sound like the ideal lubricant to me, but perhaps I shouldn't knock it till I've tried it. Which will not be any time soon. :D [/quote]

It might be a useful lubricant if you wish to exfoliate or remove unwanted hair at the same time! Owch . . .

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat November 20th, 2010, 11:46 am

I'll never look at my candles in the same way again :p I think it was the baby made of wax that ultimately put me off this book, I found it very strange. I wonder which PG book used butter then?

Return to “Philippa Gregory”