Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 8:54 am

[quote=""annis""]Yes, there is is almost a gothic flavour to The Wilding, isn't there?[/quote]

Yes, there is. It's the style of writing, I think.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 9:03 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Does she give a reference, Amanda? Would love to know, that is if you still have the book.

I'm still reading Les yeux jaunes des crocodiles, enjoying it but can't seem to find much reading time lately. I want to get on with it because I have The Darling Strumpet waiting for me after that.[/quote]

Ok...it appears in the margin of the text, and does not have a reference under it (many of them in the book do), but she does have page notes at the back. For that page, she really only makes reference to Porter's "Medical History of Waters and Spas" (Wellcome Institute 1990). However, her note for the previous page references Vigarello's "Concepts of Cleanliness" page 13. Which is Georges Vigarello's "Concepts of Cleanliness: Changing Attitudes in France since the Middle Ages" Trans Jean Birrell, Cambridge University Press 1988.

Hope that helps.....alternatively, you could always try to get in touch with the author through her website http://www.ashenburg.com/default.asp

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 4:41 am

Finished reading the second Dresden Files book, Fool Moon. Found it much better than the first one, and the review is up, so at least I can write now. Now onto some Regency romance, as I am taking care of possible broken wrist, and I want something light, Simply Love, by Mary Balogh.

I did read The True Memoirs of Little K. and to be honest, I hated it.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 8:05 am

I did read The True Memoirs of Little K. and to be honest, I hated it.
Sorry to hear that. I'm just starting this one. It seemed promising. So far, the first chapter has too much backstory for my taste, but I will give it time.

Finished The Wildiing yesterday. Funny how the really good, good novels are so quick to read. This one has everything I have a taste for - family secrets, fast pacing, likeable but flawed characters who are very much of their time, knotty moral questions that aren't easily answered, plus just plain old good writing - some marvelous passages. I'll be posting a review within the next week or two.
Last edited by Margaret on Tue November 23rd, 2010, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 9:28 am

Glad you enjoyed The Wilding, Margaret.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 3:37 pm

North to the Orient by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 3:48 pm

Finished Latro in the Mist (an omnibus of two books) by Gene Wolf. A fascinating and challenging read, probably considered historical fantasy. Will do a review shortly.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 4:12 pm

The Jade Alliance by Elizabeth Darrell. Turn of the century Hong Kong.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 6:56 pm

Started Twilight of Avalon by April Elliott. Pretty good so far. It does get a bit confusing for me reading Jack Whyte's and Mary Stewart's Arthur series and trying to get them straight in my head with what I am reading in her book. It's keeping my interest so far anyway!
Brenna

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Wed November 24th, 2010, 1:44 pm

I'll be starting The Road Home by Rose Tremain tonight.

Return to “Archives”