Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
G. Alvin Simons
Reader

I Didn't Know That, Michy

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Mon November 1st, 2010, 12:24 am

Fascinating stuff about the Library of Congress, I've never been there but it sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I can't see me wanting to "check out" one of Jefferson's donated books. I'm thinking that library curator would be standing there watching me with either a taser or rough-cut 2x4 board in her hands. I don't look the part of a book connoisseur. :D

It seems to me that, though Jefferson is famous for writing the Declaration of Independence, I'm not sure he's appreciated for his total body of written work. I've a collection of many of his essays, letters, & the only full-length book that he authored & published Notes on the State of Virginia & there's some excellent word crafting in them.

Alvin

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Princess Garnet You Owe Yourself

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Mon November 1st, 2010, 12:52 am

A return trip. The fact that you're a member of this forum tells me you enjoy history. Walking those streets of Colonial Williamsburg, especially just before dusk when the crowd has departed, is like strolling back through time. I swear you can feel a spirit drifting on the wind & hear voices whispering in the deepening shadows. A sudden motion out of the corner of your eyes & something brushes past you in a great hurry. You blink twice & question your imagination running wild. Was that a young Thomas Jefferson late for an invitation to dine at the Govenor's Palace that evening? You wander on in a daze, find yourself standing near the House of Burgesses, & think to hear an orator who had no peer among his contemporaries...Patrick Henry. A tapping of drums, squealing fifes, thousands of feet beating against the dusty street, the rattle & squeal of wagons & cannon wheels, the clip-clopping of horses herald a large man riding in front, unmistakable in his bearing & appearance...General George Washington. Accompanied by General Rochambeau, they're leading the combined Continental & French armies toward Yorktown & a rendezvous with Cornwallis & a young nation's destiny.
My feeble attempts can't adequately describe the place...it's something one has to experience for themselves.

Alvin

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon November 1st, 2010, 1:39 am

I love Williamsburg. My son is a graduate of The College of William and Mary there, so I've spent lots of time there and I miss it! William and Mary is the second oldest college in the US (Harvard is older), but it's the only college with a royal charter.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon November 1st, 2010, 4:57 am

[quote=""G. Alvin Simons""]Fascinating stuff about the Library of Congress, I've never been there but it sounds interesting. [/quote] The Library of Congress was one of my favorites spots in DC -- not only because it is a library, but it is architecturally beautiful (the Jefferson building, that is. The Madison building is 1950s and I don't know about the Adams building, didn't go there). I did a guided tour this time, but next time I would like to just wander on my own and spend as much time as I want. I got a reader's card, so I can visit the reading room. :)

If you're a lover of things Jefferson (and it sounds like you are) you might want to check out the public radio program "The Thomas Jefferson Hour." It is a weekly program put on by Clay Jenkins, who is a fairly renowned Jefferson scholar based in North Dakota (about half of the time he actually speaks on various topics and answers questions as Jefferson). He has a website, also.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 1st, 2010, 2:14 pm

Funny you should mention spirits, G. Alvin. I have a Williamsburg guidebook that has a section on the traditional ghost stories. Fascinating stuff.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon November 1st, 2010, 4:47 pm

Speaking of Library of Congress (LC), I did a summer internship in one of the reading rooms there 6 years ago. It was an introduction to how an archival library room worked. Plus I researched my undergrad history paper there.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Mon November 1st, 2010, 11:06 pm

[quote=""Michy""]The Library of Congress was one of my favorites spots in DC -- not only because it is a library, but it is architecturally beautiful (the Jefferson building, that is. The Madison building is 1950s and I don't know about the Adams building, didn't go there). I did a guided tour this time, but next time I would like to just wander on my own and spend as much time as I want. I got a reader's card, so I can visit the reading room. :)

If you're a lover of things Jefferson (and it sounds like you are) you might want to check out the public radio program "The Thomas Jefferson Hour." It is a weekly program put on by Clay Jenkins, who is a fairly renowned Jefferson scholar based in North Dakota (about half of the time he actually speaks on various topics and answers questions as Jefferson). He has a website, also.[/quote]
Thanks, Michy, I'll check that out. Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit that I managed to read all 7 volumes of Dumas Malone's masterpiece biography on Jefferson.

Alvin

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Mon November 1st, 2010, 11:11 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Funny you should mention spirits, G. Alvin. I have a Williamsburg guidebook that has a section on the traditional ghost stories. Fascinating stuff.[/quote]
Funny that you should mention ghost stories yourself. Colonial Williamsburg offers a popular nightly walking tour that recounts some of those same stories. There's also a separate outfit that does ghost tours of the Historic Area but they're not allowed access into the CW buildings like the official tours. CW used to offer a nightly walking tour of various trade shops but discovered the ghost tours were more popular.
As for books, there's a series of books out concerning the ghosts of Williamsburg. It's supposedly one of the most haunted places in this country.

Alvin

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:29 pm

We went there several years ago - DC was our original destination but that's when those two crazy guys were going around shooting people at random at gas stations and stuff and so we decided to go south to Williamsburg. Jamestown and Virginia Beach instead. It was one of the best family vacations we ever took and my daughter still talks about it from time to time.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:59 pm

The Two Nerdy History Girls have some photos posted on their latest blog post, http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.co ... ay-in.html
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Travel”