Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Favorite Holloween Story/Tale?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
chuck
Bibliophile

Favorite Holloween Story/Tale?

Post by chuck » Thu October 28th, 2010, 7:46 pm

My all time All Hallows Eve tale is Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"....A Headless Hessian Horseman what's not to like.....Excellent when narrated properly and a great Classic read.....BTW The Johnny Depp film "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Very enjoyable :eek:

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu October 28th, 2010, 10:10 pm

[quote=""chuck""]My all time All Hallows Eve tale is Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"....A Headless Hessian Horseman what's not to like.....Excellent when narrated properly and a great Classic read.....BTW The Johnny Depp film "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Very enjoyable :eek: [/quote]

Sad to say, I've never read it! Mine is The Woman in Black, by Susan Hill.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu October 28th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I just finished TWIB by Susan Hill.....Very impressive Ghost story and I heard they are considering doing a film on that her book....Creeped me out....

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:26 am

Does movies count? I love "The Others", "The Lady In White" and "The Sixth Sense". Really good ghost stories, but didn't scare me enough to give me nightmares which is a plus for me!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri October 29th, 2010, 3:24 am

Another big fan of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow; loved the Disney animated film of it.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri October 29th, 2010, 4:29 am

Love a good horror film....The 1963 "The Haunting"....Starring Julie Harris and Claire Bloom and Richard.......Very creepy

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri October 29th, 2010, 4:41 am

[quote=""chuck""]My all time All Hallows Eve tale is Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"....A Headless Hessian Horseman what's not to like.....Excellent when narrated properly and a great Classic read.....BTW The Johnny Depp film "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Very enjoyable :eek: [/quote]

That was my favourite story as a kid. I used to read it ever year on Halloween. Now I watch the movie ever year instead.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 29th, 2010, 8:11 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Sad to say, I've never read it! Mine is The Woman in Black, by Susan Hill.[/quote]

[quote=""chuck""]I just finished TWIB by Susan Hill.....Very impressive Ghost story and I heard they are considering doing a film on that her book....Creeped me out....[/quote]

Yes, Woman in Black is my favourite, too. I've read The Man in the Picture and The Mist in the Mirror by the same author - I preferred TMITP to TMITM. I have Susan Hill's The Small Hand on my TBR pile - in fact, I'm thinking of reading it next. They don't take long to read!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri October 29th, 2010, 8:34 am

I'll second (or third, fourth :p ) that Woman in Black is my favourite ghost story, and Sleepy Hollow is one of my favourite films! Especially with the lovely Johnny Depp as Ichabod Crane ;) I've never read Washington Irving's story however, I would very much like to :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 29th, 2010, 12:51 pm

I'm the odd man out, because I felt very meh about Susan Hill's The Woman in Black (elegantly written, but too much telling instead of showing in the form of a 1st person narrator for my tastes -- which is odd b/c normally I love 1st person narration).

I love Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House (on which the film The Haunting is based).

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is also an old favorite. Irving was one of those rare writers who could engage the senses and wrote with a painterly eye. I have always admired that about his prose.

An old forgotten writer of ghostly tales is F. Marian Crawford. A few of my favorites are The Dead Smile and The Screaming Skull.

Return to “General Discussion”