Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PG to write about Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

PG to write about Eleanor of Aquitaine?

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 7:26 pm

PG's answer to a question via a recent webchat as to whether she was going to write about Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Everyone wants me to write about Eleanor of Aquitaine, Caroline. She seems to be one of the characters that really intrigue people. When I have got through my next three books (which I can’t wait to write) I will have time to look around and maybe do a novel on her.
If she continues to publish a novel a year, that would mean the Eleanor novel would appear in about 2014.

Someone else wanted to know if she was considering writing about French queens:
I am very much an English historian, an English woman, and my French is very poor. Certainly not good enough to read documents in the original French. I think they are fascinating, but I think it best to stay in the area that I really know.
If she's determined to read every document in the original language, wouldn't she have to learn Anglo-Norman to read some of the Eleanor sources?

PG also mentioned a 'bottom drawer' novel she hopes to return to at some point.
I’m certainly going to write a novel about a long time-span in the US, starting in about 1890 and going up to 1960. I have the novel in my bottom drawer, it will be some time before I get to it, but I loved writing and researching it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 26th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 7:38 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/quote]

It couldn't be worse than The Captive Queen.

Could it?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 26th, 2010, 7:58 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]It couldn't be worse than The Captive Queen.

Could it?[/quote]

It's possible...

You know she likes that incesty stuff :eek: :mad:

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Which everyone is she talking about? There are plenty of people who don't want her to write about Eleanor.

By the way is she British or American?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:25 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Which everyone is she talking about? There are plenty of people who don't want her to write about Eleanor.

By the way is she British or American?[/quote]

Good point, does anyone want her writing about Eleanor?
I am a huge fan of your books! I was wondering how much they are factually based.

Thursday September 9, 2010 11:05 Katie

11:07 Philippa Gregory:

Where the facts are available the story follows them exactly.

!!!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm

She's British, as far as I know.

Personally, I think she might have an interesting take on Eleanor of Aquitaine, as she seems to do strong women well (or at least strong women whom she likes).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:34 pm

I should never have gone there and read any of this.
I hope that my new series of books on the Plantagenet – the cousins war series- starting with The White Queen and now the Red Queen is going to be a big tv series. It will be really exciting to be able to do the history in such depth and length
The next book is, I think, going to be very exciting to publish. it is about the mother of Elizabeth Woodville (The White Queen) and it tells the story of Jacquetta who was born to the ducal house of Luxembourg, married the regent of France, was a leading lady in waiting all the way through the wars of the roses and was accused twice of witchcraft (and she was probably guilty!) I think she is fab.
Didn't she say once upon a time that Jackie had been convicted?
The Globe and Mail:

Have critics ever contested the historical accuracy of your books? And if so, are they missing the point?
Philippa Gregory:

Historians read the books and understand that I am using the facts and then writing a novel so the fiction illustrates character or provides dialogue or brings the history alive. Critics generally understand this. Some people think that historical fiction is in some way “inferior” to history – I don’t think so. It is an entirely different form. I don’t write historical fiction because I can’t write history (actually I am going to publish a history book next year) I write the historical fiction because I love the form.

Did she just dodge that question or did I miss the boat again?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 26th, 2010, 8:59 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]
Personally, I think she might have an interesting take on Eleanor of Aquitaine, as she seems to do strong women well (or at least strong women whom she likes).[/quote]

From what I've read, I'd have to disagree. Her Anne Boleyn was a woman who wouldn't stop at incest or murder to get the crown, but went to pieces when it looked like she might have to head up a regency. Elizabeth I - a frivolous, man-mad puppet manipulated by her advisors. Elizabeth Woodville - wouldn't have got anywhere without her witchcraft.

She claims to rehabilitate those women perceived as weaker, but actually reinforces the prejudices about them. She protested about male historians calling Catherine Howard a silly slut, then portrayed her as...exactly that. Her Mary Queen of Scots was supposed to be a heroine for a modern Scotland, or something, but seemed to me more like a vapid, oversexed beauty queen. The only historical woman I can think of who has emerged from one of her books with more dignity than she started with is Anne of Cleves.

Admittedly, I haven't read all of her books.

Judging by her track record, her Eleanor of Aquitaine would:
1. Have an obsession with either Melusine or someone totally inappropriate, like Pope Joan, and repeatedly refer to it.
2. Commit incest with Raymond, Geoffrey and anyone else she can find.
3. Do spells. Explain to us all how she'd never have worn two crowns if she wasn't such a great witch.

If she actually goes in a completely different direction, great, but I doubt it.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue October 26th, 2010, 9:10 pm

I admit that I am both curious and worried.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Philippa Gregory”