Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Great War Leaders Who Never Held A Crown

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Katherine Ashe
Scribbler

Post by Katherine Ashe » Sat November 27th, 2010, 5:52 am

I fear I cannot resist: there was, very notably, Simon de Montfort, who conquered England in 1263 but refused the Crown twice. His intent was to firmly establish Parliament -- some 500 years before any other country had a government with representatives actually elected by the people.
I mention this no doubt at some risk, as I write about Montfort. But his refusal of the Crown is in Volume Four, which isn't out yet. Sharon Penman has the span of his life long since in print. The best biography (not fiction) is by Charles Bemont if you can find it, the recent one by Maddicott is pricey and surprisingly bitter.

Katherine Ashe
Scribbler

Post by Katherine Ashe » Sat November 27th, 2010, 6:14 am

Ludmilla asked: Have there been great military leaders who would have made great rulers, or do we generally regard those two positions as requiring very different and distinct skills? Do great military leaders stink at the kind of politics successful rulers have to use?

Montfort was considered by his contemporaries the greatest military leader of his time. He succumbed to jealousies -- which is probably common. His supporters, I suspect much to his chagrin, thought he was the Angel of the Apocalypse, or maybe the risen Christ. His fellow lords found this very offensive. This is the same sort of jealousy that brought on Julius Caesar's murder. On the other hand, military leaders who do seize the sovereignty often survive and prosper: Octavian/Augustus, assorted English kings, Mao, Charlemagne, Alexander...

Being an effective military leader and being an effective head of state are not mutually incompatible at all. It seems the problem often lies in the moment of transition -- will the populace accept the new leader, or in the leader's failure to seize enough power to protect himself.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat November 27th, 2010, 6:23 am

Your mention of Montfort reminds me of General George Washington, who was offered the chance to be the king of America. Or so legend would have it.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat November 27th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Washington was offered kingship by the army. Congress probably wouldn't have gone along. But yes, the offer was made, and yes, he turned it down. There is, however, no proof of the incident with the cherry tree. ;)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat November 27th, 2010, 10:58 pm

William Marshal - Knight, magnate, general, statesman extraordinaire and regent of England.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat November 27th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Posted by EC
William Marshal - Knight, magnate, general, statesman extraordinaire and regent of England.
What would the Plantagenets have done without WM? He saved their bacon several times, especially towards the end of John's reign, and after J's death - and this at a time when Marshal was getting on in years and could have been forgiven for choosing a comfortable retirement.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat November 27th, 2010, 11:35 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by EC

What would the Plantagenets have done without WM? He saved their bacon several times, especially towards the end of John's reign, and after J's death - and this at a time when Marshal was getting on in years and could have been forgiven for choosing a comfortable retirement.[/quote]

If you read the Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal, he sobbed at the enormity of the task when they offered him the Regency. (he was about 70) Never mind his death scene, it is for me one of the most moving parts of the Histoire amd a true and humbling example of greatness and grace.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Mon November 29th, 2010, 8:15 am

Julius Caesar was pretty handy on the battlefield. But only made it to "dictator for life." (not that the Romans would have worn a king - clearly, emperor was a better title. But Caesar wasn't even the first Emperor either).

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon November 29th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Then there was Robert Curthose, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, who was one of the leaders of the first crusade - but who got beaten to the throne of England, twice, by his younger brothers.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

This has gone off topic, as the original query

Post by parthianbow » Tue November 30th, 2010, 2:36 pm

was about five different people, but it's very interesting adding other 'nearly' characters from history. ;)

Hannibal Barca (surely he's a major candidate?)
Stilicho (5th C AD; saved the Roman Empire's a*s on numerous occasions.)
William Wallace
Last edited by parthianbow on Tue November 30th, 2010, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: error
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “General Discussion”