Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This is why you're huge...

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon October 25th, 2010, 3:27 pm

The author interviewed said basically the same thing; that soft drinks have largely replaced coffee as the beverage consumed with meals. I do love Pepsi (as a non-Southerner I prefer Pepsi over Coke! ;) ) but not with breakfast - ugh. I still like coffee in the mornings.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 25th, 2010, 4:12 pm

I'm a Pepsi person too. Though I am younger and a soda drinker, I would like to say that I am not huge.

Never cared for coffee, or tea really.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon October 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm

I only drink Paul Newman's Limeade during dinner and water throughout the day. Only now and then will I have soda but that's after dinner.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Mon October 25th, 2010, 8:19 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I think the main difference is that in the 1940s, people still tended to drink coffee with every meal. Not too many people do that anymore.[/quote]

Not in the UK they didn't! In the 40's, we didn't know what coffee was any more than what nylon stockings, or chewing gum were!! If anything, as an alternative to tea, what we had was what the Germans used to call called ersatz coffee!

I'm happy to say that nowadays, we drink very nice wine with (not every) meal!!" :p ;)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon October 25th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Sorry I didn't specify that by "people" I meant Americans -- what started this tangent was that I shared something I heard yesterday, that even with the proliferation of Starbucks, Americans still drink less coffee today than in the 1940s.

I thought Brits drank tea with every meal -- has that now been supplanted by wine? :D

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 26th, 2010, 10:14 am

[quote=""Michy""]Sorry I didn't specify that by "people" I meant Americans -- what started this tangent was that I shared something I heard yesterday, that even with the proliferation of Starbucks, Americans still drink less coffee today than in the 1940s.

I thought Brits drank tea with every meal -- has that now been supplanted by wine? :D [/quote]

I couldn't drink tea with a meal, not a full meal anyway :eek: , I have it with lunch but that's usually just a sandwich.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that coffee houses were very popular in England a few hundred years ago - can't remember exactly when! :rolleyes: - but I'm pretty sure there was a famous coffee house in York at one time.
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:13 pm

No way could I drink tea with a meal, it's more a 'relax after work' or before bed time drink for me :) For my parents however, I think it's the only thing they do drink, they should buy shares in Earl Grey tea!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:27 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]No way could I drink tea with a meal![/quote] That's how I feel about coffee. Very few Americans drink it with meals anymore (except perhaps breakfast), except for some of the older generations. I can't drink it on a full stomach, so my drinking of coffee is pretty much confined to early morning.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue October 26th, 2010, 3:39 pm

I'm weird and must have cola confusion. I prefer diet Pepsi over diet Coke, but Coca-Cola over Pepsi. Sprite/diet Sprite is our clear cola preference and my husband loves to do the Dew.

I can't eat a meal without water, and I take water with me everywhere. I often feel like the kitchen sink because when anyone in my household is thirsty, they just come looking for my water bottle instead of getting their own. Even if I have wine or something else to drink with my meal, I still need my water. I drink iced tea on occasion (unsweetened, something some southerners don't understand how to make, apparently). I also drink coffee in the mornings (hardly ever after noon, though, as too much makes me jittery and unable to focus on anything). If I want something warm to drink at work, I indulge in one of the decaf teas they keep in our breakroom.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue October 26th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I slipped on a piece of plastic in front of a Starbucks, of all places, in London! I'm very thankful I didn't break my leg or anything. The irony that I've lived in or around Seattle, the birth place of Starbucks, most of my life was not lost on me!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”