Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cause of the big plague epidemic of Middle Ages identified

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Interesting post,

Post by parthianbow » Mon October 25th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Rowan, thanks.

I was interested to discover a few years ago that the rat, which is commonly held up to be the agent which spread the disease, was quite likely not to blame in all cases. The scientists in the programmes I saw worked this out by showing, using documented cases, how quickly the disease spread from village to village. In many cases, it moved faster than a rat could - but not faster than a person (with human fleas on board) could walk or ride.

I thought that an excellent use of logic rather than knee-jerk reaction. (I know too that rats can carry Yersinia, and it's likely they did spread the plague in towns etc., but they weren't all bad!)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon October 25th, 2010, 5:44 pm

I hate rats regardless, their one of my biggest phobias! I can't stand to look at them period!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “History in the News”