Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Searching for an author

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 29th, 2010, 3:24 am

I was going to suggest Alan Savage, but of course Alan Savage is just one of the pseudonyms of the very prolific Christopher Nicole, who wrote variously as Leslie Arlen, Robin Cade, Nicholas Grant, Caroline Gray, Max Marlow (with Diana Nicole), C R Nicholson, Christina Nicholson, Robin Nicholson, Alan Savage, Alison York, and Andrew York!

There are lists at Fantastic Fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/christopher-nicole/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri October 29th, 2010, 3:26 am

[quote=""annis""]I was going to suggest Alan Savage, but of course Alan Savage is just one of the pseudonyms of the very prolific Christopher Nicole, who wrote variously as Leslie Arlen, Robin Cade, Nicholas Grant, Caroline Gray, Max Marlow (with Diana Nicole), C R Nicholson, Christina Nicholson, Robin Nicholson, Alan Savage, Alison York, and Andrew York!

There are lists at Fantastic Fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/christopher-nicole/[/quote]

Yes....he of the Eleanor of Aquitaine sleazy romps.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri October 29th, 2010, 6:51 am

When you said "pirates" the first name that came to my mind was Emilio Salgari... But of course he is a 1800s writer so I guess it's not him...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

datan
Scribbler

Post by datan » Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:18 pm

[quote=""emr""]When you said "pirates" the first name that came to my mind was Emilio Salgari... But of course he is a 1800s writer so I guess it's not him...[/quote]

thanks everybody for the suggestions.

it's not any of these (am checking on the Christopher Nicole suggestion)

one thing I remember is the stories were not part of any series i.e. all separate settings/plots

What I really liked about the novels were the way they immersed me into history e.g. the boxer rebellion, bombing of pearl harbor, the Chinese Civil War etc.
Last edited by datan on Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Douglas Reeman who also writes under the pseudonym Alexander Kent has written a bunch of military/maritime adventure stories, some set in 19th century and others during WWII. I haven't read any of his, so I don't know if any of them fit your descriptions, but I think at least one he authored as Douglas Reeman took place in China during the Boxer Rebellion.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 30th, 2010, 7:50 am

Looking at the Open Library listings which kindly offer synopses where possible, I'd say Christopher Nicole is a good possibility.
http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL100966 ... her_Nicole

His China trilogy starting with The Crimson Pagoda covers the Boxer Rebellion and the Chinese Civil War, and Dragon's Blood is a story of Hong Kong and the Opium Wars.

Ship With No Name is a possiblity for the WWII novel, or else perhaps Raging Sea, Searing Sky
Last edited by annis on Sun October 31st, 2010, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

datan
Scribbler

Post by datan » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 6:34 am

[quote=""Amanda""]Christopher Nicole?[/quote]

hi all,

Christopher Nicole is the author I was looking for.
I've managed to find a few of his books at the local library.

thanks very much for your help!

Return to “General Discussion”