Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Princess Diana

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue October 19th, 2010, 5:43 am

I remember the day that she died with such horror -- it was truly tragic and her poor sons. Losing a parent at such a young age leaves some pretty terrible scars. And now to make films exploiting her -- that's awful. I mean, The Queen was an extremely good film, and it covered that week very well, but there was nothing tacky or exploitive about it. But these sound like they're sinking to the lowest common denominator.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 19th, 2010, 7:15 am

I wouldn't want to watch it either. I'm very much a royalist. However, I do believe that if Diana had been allowed to keep her HRH, she would still be alive today.

I enjoyed The Queen but that was quite a positive sort of film. And Helen Mirren was brilliant.

Diana and Marilyn Monroe definitely had some similarities, even their age at death. Both died far, far too young.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 19th, 2010, 10:01 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Divia, parts of the book are excerpted in the new Vanity Fair. Quite sad, actually. Her loneliness is palpable. She's on the cover of the magazine, too, looking stunning in white fur.

I must confess, I adore Marilyn, too.[/quote]

I am going to B&N today to see if they have it :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 19th, 2010, 11:19 am

[quote=""Divia""]OMG Marilyn Monroe's diaries have been published???!!! :eek: I read the book she "wrote" it was soooo interesting. I love her!

As for this bit of nonsense. I can see why they would make a movie out of her life. She is a money maker. I doubt I'll see it though. And if Knightly is the star I will certainly miss it.[/quote]

Ditto :eek:
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 19th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Must be difficult for her sons, and other relatives.

The actresses named would be horrible casting.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue October 19th, 2010, 9:44 pm

I read somewhere that Charlize Theron was being considered for the role, as well. At least she has the glamour and acting skill to convey Diana's personal and public complexity.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed October 20th, 2010, 12:21 am

I know various TV movies were made about her.

Speaking of Marilyn Monroe, I saw an online article about her reading habits. She had some really interesting titles in her library!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 3:19 pm

This is a little bit OT, but I heard on the news this morning about the new austerity measures the PM is instituting to try and get Britain back on better footing financially. Apparently, the queen is even going to participate. So that got me to wondering what kind of cut-backs she is going to make?

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 4:09 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Apparently, the queen is even going to participate. So that got me to wondering what kind of cut-backs she is going to make?[/quote]

She's cancelled the Buckingham Palace staff Xmas party. So the staff miss out, but you can be sure the Royal Family won't be stinting on their private celebrations.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 4:21 pm

I actually have several ideas:

She could lay off a few butlers and footmen (do they even still have footmen anymore?).

She could feed her corgis dry doggy food instead of the more expensive wet/canned stuff.

She could self-impose a buying freeze on new gloves or handbags or hats for a year.

(Of course, these are all meant to be funny/facetious, so please nobody take offense!! :p )

Return to “Chat”