Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Princess Diana

chuck
Bibliophile

Princess Diana

Post by chuck » Mon October 18th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Just read; that two new films are being produced re: Princess Diana.....One film is trying to land Keira Knightley and the other one is talking about Scarlett Johansson or Charlize Theron as Diana....Ye gads....I will forgo...I don't appreciate film bios. that seem to be cashing in on a tragic life....Probably out around her 50th birthday....She was stunning.....She deserves more respect....
Last edited by chuck on Mon October 18th, 2010, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 18th, 2010, 6:18 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Just read; that two new films are being produced re: Princess Diana.....One film is trying to land Keira Knightley and the other one is talking about Scarlett Johansson or Charlize Theron as Diana....Ye gads....I'm will forgo...I don't appreciate film bios. that seem to be cashing in on a tragic life....Probably out around her 50th birthday....She was stunning.....She deserves more respect....[/quote]

Oh bah! I agree.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 18th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Me too - I don't know which film sounds the worst....and I'm no particular fan of the Royals or Diana; what happened was terrible, and should be left alone if only for the sake of her sons and family.
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon October 18th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Diana is such a money-making enterprise -- in her death as well as her life -- that unfortunately, I don't think books and movies and whatever else they come up with about her are going to go away anytime soon. I will admit I read a book about her once -- the Andrew Morton when it came out, what, 20 years ago? -- but to me, enough is enough. But I guess this is one of the side-effects of being a public figure. Her poor sons.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon October 18th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Gags! I loved Diana, it broke my heart when she died, I refuse to buy or see anything that exploits her!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon October 18th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Yikes. Way too early. Maybe in 25-50 years.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 18th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Two films I will miss! Not to be disrespectful, but I prefer my royals long dead.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon October 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm

I respected Diana, for her gumption; her dedication to AIDS and other causes; and, of course, her amazing style. She reinvented herself, from shy royal bride to modern-day princess, and captivated the world.

Her death was a tragic byproduct of our culture's obsession with celebrity (drunk driver not withstanding, if the car hadn't been chased, they would not have gone so fast) and that's not going to end any time soon. Diana will always be exploited for her image, her troubled private life, and her sensational demise.

It's like Marilyn Monroe, whose private diaries were just made public. I mean, honestly, is nothing sacred anymore?

Like Susan, I prefer my royals long dead.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 19th, 2010, 1:06 am

OMG Marilyn Monroe's diaries have been published???!!! :eek: I read the book she "wrote" it was soooo interesting. I love her!

As for this bit of nonsense. I can see why they would make a movie out of her life. She is a money maker. I doubt I'll see it though. And if Knightly is the star I will certainly miss it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue October 19th, 2010, 3:09 am

[quote=""Divia""]OMG Marilyn Monroe's diaries have been published???!!! :eek: I read the book she "wrote" it was soooo interesting. I love her!
[/quote]

Divia, parts of the book are excerpted in the new Vanity Fair. Quite sad, actually. Her loneliness is palpable. She's on the cover of the magazine, too, looking stunning in white fur.

I must confess, I adore Marilyn, too.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Chat”