Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What would you most like to ask?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Oh, yes, I would love to ask that too! Although I strongly suspect she would not give us an answer. ;) I think she always intended the book to end the way it did. She refused to write a sequel, and said the book ended the way it was supposed to (or something to that effect).

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed October 20th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I think my mind would go blank if I were ever in the same room with an author to ask a question, and I very much want to keep my own impressions of a work of fiction separate from the views and public persona of an author. I do have a fantasy about how much fun it would be to have certain authors sitting at a bar having drinks together and overhearing their zany conversation.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 20th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I would love to ask Dickens how the Mystery of Edwin Drood was supposed to end, since he so inconsiderately died before completing the book.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed October 20th, 2010, 5:16 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Oh, yes, I would love to ask that too! Although I strongly suspect she would not give us an answer. ;) I think she always intended the book to end the way it did. She refused to write a sequel, and said the book ended the way it was supposed to (or something to that effect).[/quote]

I bet if we knew the way the story ended, Gone with the wind wouldn't be the same. 'Frankly my dear...'etc is such a fantastic ending, it's hard to see how it would be bettered! Although the hopeless romantic in me would have liked to see Rhett and Scarlett live happily ever after. But then, they wouldn't have been Rhett and Scarlett then... :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed October 20th, 2010, 5:28 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]I bet if we knew the way the story ended, Gone with the wind wouldn't be the same. 'Frankly my dear...'etc is such a fantastic ending, [/quote]

I absolutely agree -- part of what makes GWTW so strong and memorable is the uncertain ending. Margaret Mitchell was no dummy when it came to storytelling. ;)

For whatever it's worth.... the word "frankly" isn't in the book. It was added in the movie.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed October 20th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Yes, wasn't 'frankly' to take the emphasis off 'damn'? Not an appropriate word in those days.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 21st, 2010, 12:37 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Yes, wasn't 'frankly' to take the emphasis off 'damn'? Not an appropriate word in those days.[/quote]

Perhaps, although I've never heard that. I think it was added just to give a little extra punch to Rhett's final statement. It does give it more attitude!

Although the producer was granted permission to use the word "damn", he was fined $5,000 for breaking the Hays Code -- which was probably a lot of money back in 1939!!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 21st, 2010, 10:53 am

Yes, it would've been a lot of money back then. It's quite a lot for some people in today's world due to what's happening. Just think if that happened now, the powers that be would be rolling in it! LOL.

In the film I think Rhett puts the emphasis on 'Frankly' rather than 'damn' whereas in the book it's the word 'damn' which stands out.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 21st, 2010, 2:52 pm

I have a two-CD set of the entire musical score of the movie, along with a booklet about the movie and the making of it (both were produced by Turner, who owns the movie). There are a lot of interesting tidbits. For instance, both Clark Gable and Leslie Howard had to be essentially bribed to take their parts (unlike Vivien Leigh and Olivia De Havilland who both really wanted their parts). And then there is the apocryphal legend about how Leigh was "discovered" as the perfect Scarlett......

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu October 21st, 2010, 3:04 pm

That just shows how long it's been since I read the book, it must be ten years :p Now the film, I've seen so many times, it's one of my all time favourites. I bet Clark Gable and Leslie Howard were glad they took those parts in the end! Do share the legend Michy!

Return to “General Discussion”