Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reenacting wars - why some and not others?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 6:19 pm

Slightly off-topic, but when my oldest son learnt to drive he was notoriously accident-prone, and the panelbeaters got to rubbing their hands when they saw us coming. We were quite tickled when he found us a card with a typically quirky Far Side cartoon showing a group of gormless young guys surrounding a horse crumpled into a tree. "Gee, Allen", says one to the erstwhile rider, "What are you going to tell your Dad?"

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 5th, 2010, 5:56 am

Great cartoon - Gary Larson is hilarious, and I've read most of his - don't know how I missed that one. Made me LOL even without the picture.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 5th, 2010, 11:27 am

I miss The Far Side, it was one of my favorites.

What is a "panelbeater?" :confused:

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 5th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I suspect body repair shop. And if you need a Far Side fix, go get the two volume all inclusive set. Its gotten a lot cheaper than when it first came out - think I got mine second hand for $60. Absolutely love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Far-Side ... 0740721135

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri November 5th, 2010, 2:30 pm

One of my college math instructors looked just like a typical Gary Larson male Far Side character. I mean just like one! And it didn't help that he was so nerdily-excited about math! :p He was the nicest man, but I always wanted to crack up just from watching him!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 12th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Yes, a panelbeater's shop is what is known in the US as a body repair shop (which makes me think of dodgy organ transplants :) ) - another one of those differences between Brit English and US English.

I have the Gary Larson complete Far Side set, which is a constant source of entertainment- pretty pricy, though. GL is notoriously touchy about unauthorised posting of FS images, or I would have scanned the cartoon to add here.

Return to “Questions and Research”