Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

About those scam emails

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun October 17th, 2010, 4:42 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]And speaking of Dateline, here is a truly tasteless spoof of Keith Morrison on SNL.[/quote]

Not only tasteless but also inaccurate to the point of lousy. Has SNL given up any pretense of quality in their spoofing?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 28th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Lol, the typos in this one are too priceless not to share.
PLEASE COME FOR OUR RESCUE.

WE ARE THE CHIILDREN OF LATE JAQUES WILLIAMS
ADDRESS: AVENU 12 RUE 47 ABIDJAN
DANANI REFUGEE CAMP, ABIDJAN
REPUBLIC OF COTE-D'IVOIRE

Dear,
We are Joseph and Mary the children of Late Jaques Williams the former Director of military inteligence and special acting General Manager of Diamond mining coperation in our country. We are contacting you to seek your good assistance to transfer and invest £ 2.8 million belonging to our late father which is deposited in a bank here in Abidjan.

The money is revenues from solid minirals and dimonds sales which were under our fathers possession before the civil war broke out. Following the break out of the war, almost all government offices,coperations and parastatals were attacked and vandalized. Our country was loothed and burnt down to ashes,and diamonds worth millions of dollars was stolen by the rebel military forces who attacked our fathers office, many top government officials and senior army officers were assasinated and our father was a key target because of his very sensitive military possition and appointment in my country. Regreatably, our father was captured and murdered along with his brother in cold blood during a mid-night rebel shoot-out when our official residence in freetown was armbushed by Fodey Sanko the notorious rebel leader.

Our mother sustainded severe bullet injuries which resulted to her untimely and painful death in a private hospital here in Ivory Coast.Now we are alone in a totally strange country without parents, relatives or any body to care for us at our tender ages. Before our mother died, she told us that our father deposited some money which he made from diamond sales and contracts in a bank here in Ivory Coast and that we should pray and find a trust worthy foreign business partner who would help us to transfer and invest this money in profitable business venture overseas.

She told us to do this quickly so that we can leave Ivory Coast and then settle down abroad. She gave us the bank document to prove the deposit and then told us that our father used our name as the only son to deposit the money in the bank.She told us that this is the reason why we came to Ivory Coast. Our mother died after. May her spirit rest in perfect peace.We have gone to the bank to make inquires about this money and We spoke with the Manager of International remittance who assured me that everything is intact and promised to help us transfer this money to my fathers foreign partners bank account as soon as we provide our fathers partners foreign bank account for them. However, the manager is very concerned because of our age. And as such advised that we should look for a matured person that will represent me at the bank.

If you are willing to assist us, please let us know immediately so that you will arrange the transfer of the money to your account with the bank.Please note that we will offer you 10% of the total money as compensation for your noble assistance in accordance with my late mothers advise. I am interested in any profitable commercial venture which you consider very good in your country and you would also get a school for me and my little sister so that we can finish our college education.Please there is urgent need for the money to be transferred to your account because of the political crises they are having in Ivory Coast now. We are hoping to hear your urgent response so that we will not look for another person. Thank you and may God bless you and your dear family.

We wish to hear from you.

Yours sincerely
Joseph and Mary
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu October 28th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I keep winning money from the UK. :rolleyes: Yesterday, somebody called Pastor Cole wanted to send me $$ through Western Union.
There was another one asking me if I wanted to buy raw cotton from West Africa.
Last edited by Nefret on Thu October 28th, 2010, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 28th, 2010, 3:30 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]I keep winning money from the UK. :rolleyes: Yesterday, somebody called Pastor Cole wanted to send me $$ through Western Union. There was another one asking me if I wanted to buy raw cotton from West Africa.[/quote]

I think I've had one from Pastor Cole before as well ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu October 28th, 2010, 3:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I think I've had one from Pastor Cole before as well ;) [/quote]

I won money in the UK... again.
Oh, I got one from a princess. She mentioned something about gold dust. Wanted me to contact her for details.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 28th, 2010, 4:00 pm

How come I never win money in the UK (or anywhere else)? Why doesn't anybody want to send me money or gold dust? I feel very left out. :(

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu October 28th, 2010, 4:46 pm

But at least you haven't been "armbushed," Michy.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu October 28th, 2010, 5:47 pm

[quote=""Michy""]How come I never win money in the UK (or anywhere else)? Why doesn't anybody want to send me money or gold dust? I feel very left out. :( [/quote]

Me, too Michy!

I thought Joseph and Mary's story was very sad and pretty believable! So would it be alright if I took over from Misfit and went along to help them? At the very least I should pick up 10% of £2.8million, shouldn't I?? I'll call you all from Switzerland as soon as I've banked the money!! :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 28th, 2010, 5:55 pm

You're such a kind person, Ken. Tip: the Cayman Islands might be a better place to stow your ### (sorry, that's the closest thing to a pound sign I have on my keyboard! :p )

ETA: That's very nice of you to want to help Joseph and Mary. A little Christmas spirit in October!
Last edited by Michy on Thu October 28th, 2010, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Ha! I've had them from Obama, Cameron,

Post by parthianbow » Fri October 29th, 2010, 6:21 am

the FBI, the CIA, the World Bank, every bank in the UK and a few more from abroad, and from numerous businessmen. I have to have my email on the highest filter there is, or I'd never even see the real emails I get. :mad:

Nice to see some people are striking back. Check out the scam baiting website:

http://www.419eater.com/

There's also a new book out about these scam emails :D :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... king-arawi
Last edited by parthianbow on Fri October 29th, 2010, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: addendum
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Chat”