Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

High Diddle Diddle the Cat and the Fiddle.....Fairy tales, nursey rhymes

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue June 28th, 2011, 11:23 pm

[quote=""marshalslion""]Pop Goes The Weasel,The Secret History of Nursery Rhymes by Albert Jack.
ISBN :9781846 1414447.[/quote]

I once bought someone a card with a picture of a bunch of animals in a grocery shop along with the caption 'Weasel began to get very worried when he heard Mrs Badger buying half a pound of tuppeny rice and half a pound of treacle.'
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed June 29th, 2011, 12:45 am

[quote=""rosepetal720""]If you want to hear a story Disney really screwed up, you should look into The Little Mermaid. The true version is beautiful, though it's so sad it makes me feel a little dead inside.

Someone ought to write a novel to retell that story. I would do it, but I don't have the stomach for it.[/quote]

Maybe someone answered this already, but I just finished reading MERMAID by Carolyn Turgeon(sp?) and she wrote a novel based on the original. It contained great imagery and some fantastic daydreaming material.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed June 29th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Not sure its necessary to write a book; Hans Christian Andersen's version is just fine for me. Tho I do agree with you about Disney's total twist on stories. I refused to watch Anastasia, knowing the history as I do. And the Hunchback....I had to laugh, soon after that movie came out I was in the bookstore and heard a little girl ooo and awww over the books on the movie. I soo wanted to say that she should read the real one, written by Victor Hugo. But I just smiled and walked away.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”