Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Historical" Movies

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Thu December 4th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Donroc....really impressive information....swordplay will never be the same again....Loved the Lester films.....The sword play looked very realistic....and a bit clumsy looking(realism)....but deadly all the same.....I do not appreciate acrobatic fencing.....GS.....I always wondered if Ian Fleming had a George Saunders in mind when visualizing his 007......I will check out A Scandal in Paris....He stole the show from Robert Taylor in the first "Ivanhoe".....as always I continue to learn from this wonderful site....look forward to reading your always informative posts.....I too.. am a fan Turner Classic films.....

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Thu December 4th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Yes, Chuck, I agree, Sanders did dominate Ivanhoe and is still my favorite Charles II. I was delighted to see him win the Oscar for his wonderfully portrayed role in All About Eve.

The only time he disappointed me was when he sang in Call Me Madame.

I saw a similarity between his marrying Zsa Zsa and one of my favorite historical rogues,Talleyrand, marrying Catherine Grand.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Thu December 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Yes Don...... GS's Charles II was about the only good thing about "Forever Amber" great costumes,sets and a handsome looking film...but overall it was a disappointment....it deserves a remake....but only with a good budget, casting and direction.....

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kveto from Prague » Tue December 16th, 2008, 9:58 pm

"MLE" wrote:Has anyone heard of the Charles I film 'To Kill a King'? Is it accurate?

ive seen the film. i dont know enough about the subject to discuss its accuracy, it seemed alright to me. the main character was oliver cromwell (tim roth) and he was put in a pretty sympathetic light, i think (mustnt have made a huge impression on me)

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Wed December 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm

"donroc" wrote:One of the worst, most flagrant deviations from historical fact in cinema history appeared in the Errol Flynn and Warners stock company film, The Sante Fe Trail. Only the names of Custer, Jeb Stuart, John Brown, Harpers Ferry, and Jefferson Davis were historical.

Sounds like the usual Flynn flick. Charge of the Light Brigade anyone?
I'm a huge fan BTW.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Wed December 17th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Those film rewrites of History spurred me to look up the real history when I was a boy.

They were great entertainment. I may have mentioned before I read a magazine article years ago in the old Horizon Magazine titled The Regiment. It would have been commanded by Sir C. Aubry Smith, with Reginald Denny as the Adjutant. Flynn, Patric Knowles, Richard Greene, and others would have done the derring-do.

I believe John Ford created the American version with his Fort Apache trilogy.

We used to call the Gunga Din-Bengal Lancer-Beau Geste type films Easterns.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”