Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Global Warming

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Global Warming

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 11th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Found an interesting article that got me thinking about whether or not anyone can be trusted when there is money involved. While the letter printed in the article does not explicitly claim that global warming itself is fiction, it does point out that certain bodies at least do not want open discussion about the point. Here is the link:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/james ... long-life/

I thought maybe we could discuss it. Anybody have opinions?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue October 12th, 2010, 6:51 pm

We have to accept that there are a lot of vested (and often rabid) interests, especially in the oil energy business (ie the Koch Brothers et al) who would love us to believe that global warming is a fraud and it's business as usual. Unfortunately this is not the case, as shown by recent alarming discoveries about the rate that the ice sheets in Greenland and the Antarctic are melting. There a well-written article in the Rolling Stone which discusses this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/208775

Delingpole is a right-wing conservative with trenchant views on a number of subjects including climate change , and is linked with loony tunes Lord Monckton, who quite blatantly fabricates data to suit his case.
Last edited by annis on Tue October 12th, 2010, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 12th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Seems like everybody fabricates data to suit their case these days. But there should be room for discussion of all theories.

I believe that it's happening, I'm just not so sure it's man made.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 13th, 2010, 6:52 am

I certainly agree that we should be discussing global warming, LoveHistory, and it's great that you've brought it up. I'm afraid that I do get hot under the collar about people like Monckton who are doing us a disservice by lulling people into a false sense of security. Naturally we like to be told what we want to hear - people don't want to have to change the way they live.

I personally believe that it is a tragedy for our world that the issue of global warming has become a political football for right-wing lobby groups. Nature is not worried about who’s right or wrong. While we sit about debating whether global warming is happening or not, it is in fact happening regardless. Instead of vilifying climate scientists and sticking our heads in the sand we need to be thinking about how we are going to deal with the extremes of weather which accompany global warming and changing our lifestyles accordingly. Do we wish this had happened on someone else's watch? You bet.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”