Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New or Used?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
aceuggy
Scribbler

New or Used?

Post by aceuggy » Mon October 11th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but do you buy new or used books? I ask because just having had my eyes opened to the wealth of books available to me I am in the process of compiling a "To read" list. I think I prefer to buy new as I like the idea of a fresh unread copy, but would probably save a bit of money buying used. It's a dilemma! :confused:

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon October 11th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Both, it depends on the price, and I always read what the description of the condition of the book is. You can get some used books that look like new or just have a few creases on the spine or cover.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 11th, 2010, 6:44 pm

I'll buy a used one if it's in very good/excellent condition. I don't mind so much if it's a swap. I have to say, however, that I do prefer a brand new book - they just smell so nice!! :o :D

Plus a lot of the bookshops do offers like 3 for 2 and sometimes even buy one, get one free!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:15 pm

I like new books but can't afford them unless they are tax deductible, which fiction usually isn't. But I do get to read new books by reserving new releases or putting in purchase requests through the library. That way I can have the pleasure of reading a new book without having to pay for it or store it. I get new books from my subscription library too, and while there is a monthly fee, it's a fraction of what I would pay for new copies, especially as the books I take out are often very expensive academic or art books.

Right now I have out from various libraries two brand new novels and two brand new non-fiction books. The total cost to me had I bought them new would have been £138.40.

I will only buy used if there is no other way I can get to read the book. If it's an older book I prefer a solid 1940s or 50s hardback to a 60s or 70s paperback, but there's not always a choice. I have got some hardback copies of OOP books in excellent condition for under £10 including shipping, some with original dustjackets.

Edited to add: when I say brand new, I mean I am the first person to read it. I haven't counted books which look new but have been borrowed once or twice before.
Last edited by Miss Moppet on Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:24 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Right now I have out from various libraries two brand new novels and two brand new non-fiction books. The total cost to me had I bought them new would have been £138.40.
[/quote]

That's expensive for 4 books, Moppet :eek: , are they special editions?

I like new books but I have started buying used, as long as the seller says they are in good condition; and most of the time they are, in fact some of them look as if they've barely been read (maybe they haven't which is why they were selling them cheaply!). But I keep my own books in good condition, so if I'm buying used I expect it to be in pretty good condition too, although I don't mind a bit of yellowing page and slightly creased spine,which is inevitable with paperbacks after a short while anyway. I tend to buy used books if I can't get a new copy fairly cheaply, ie around £5.00, and find most used booksites pretty reliable, and I have saved quite a bit of money! :D
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I buy both. I buy a lot of out-of-print books, both fiction and nonfiction, used as well as nonfiction books that would be cost-prohibitive if I tried to buy them new. I've run into a lot of used books that appear to have been unread--in the last few months, I've bought two older used books that never had the pages cut!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:40 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]That's expensive for 4 books, Moppet :eek: , are they special editions?[/quote]

The novels are:
The People's Queen by Vanora Bennett - £12.99
Juliet by Anne Fortier - £7.99

The non-fiction:
Magna Carta and the England of King John, ed. Janet S. Loengard - £55.00
Rococo: The Continuing Curve, ed. Sarah D. Coffin - £62.42

I could have saved some money on the novels through Amazon or the supermarkets, but not on the non-fiction.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon October 11th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I try to get new, if I can. But sometimes I will settle for used if the copy is in very good condition from a non-smoking home. (I am allergic to tobacco) Managed to score a copy of Medieval Domesticity at about a third of the asking price, which was a very good deal.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon October 11th, 2010, 10:30 pm

I buy mostly used and out of print books, unless there's a new release I'm very interested in and then I normally buy it from Amazon or one of the supermarkets. I do love the smell of new books, but I couldn't afford to buy as many books as I do if I bought them all new :p I buy them from a variety of sources: Abebooks, Ebay, Charity shops and car boots being the main ones, I do love a forage in a secondhand bookshop too. If I'm buying a book as a reader then I don't mind the condition too much, but as a keeper I'm quite fussy - I've got a collection of original Jean Plaidy's and my ambition is to have a first edition with an original cover of each one she published under that name! I love the feel of old library books though, the well read feeling - I don't know why, they just feel nice and loved.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 11th, 2010, 11:22 pm

I'm not buying much these days, my library is just too darned perfect and they get all the new HF :)

Most everything else I try for ILL (interlibrary loan), except for the old OOP paperbacks that I can pick up off of swap sites. If I can't ILL a book or get via swap it has to be something I really really want and then I'll buy it - that is if its not too expensive.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “General Discussion”