Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hunks in History

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Fri October 31st, 2008, 5:04 pm

"Volgadon" wrote:I could spoil it further by saying go read the story "His Insolence of Buckingham" in Sabatini's "Historical Night's Entertainment vol. 2".

No! Not you too?

Shameless teaser for my novel: At least Sabatini has Buckingham in France and does not reveal the unique revenge the Count-Duke de Olivares inflicted on the rascal.

"Buckeroo Steenie" is a minor figure who appears and is mentioned only in a few chapters in my novel.
Last edited by donroc on Fri October 31st, 2008, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:15 pm

My first hero was Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre. Now of course I can add William Marshal to the list, as well as his dad; although I haven't read A Place Beyond Courage yet, I've read so much about him on EC's blogs that I'm hopelessly in love with him already! And the same goes for Jamie - haven't read the books yet, but have heard so much about him on various websites that I feel I know him anyway. I also liked Inman from Cold Mountain, although I'm not quite sure about Jude Law in the film (tho he looked great!).

I also liked Aragorn in LOTR, helped a lot by Viggo in the movie!

Loved the "look at me" bit in "North and South", he is now in "Spooks" on BBC1.

Has anyone read the Hawkenlye mysteries by Alys Clare? The hero is a knight called Josse d'Acquin, and he is one hunk! Now I could definitely see Gerard Butler playing him.
Last edited by Madeleine on Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Sat December 13th, 2008, 2:56 am

Robin Hood for mine! Especially Robin McKinley's (The Outlaws of Sherwood) and Jennifer Roberson's (Lady of the Forest)

Also, Llewllyn Fawr
and Hugh de Beranger (Cadfael books - it was always a disappointment when he wasn't heavily featured :( )

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue August 31st, 2010, 1:04 am

Just for fun, over at Goodreads we started a Hunks in History list where anyone can vote on a book and add it to the list. Some months later, the current top five are,

1. William Marshall (The Greatest Knight)
  2. Jamie Fraser (Outlander)
  3. Llewellyn the great (Here be Dragons)
  4. John of Gaunt (Katherine)
  5. Rhett Butler (Gone with the Wind)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue August 31st, 2010, 3:15 am

"MLE" wrote:But I think Rhett Butler was an idiot. If he wanted Scarlett to grow up, why did he indulge her so as to keep her a brat? Her character went seriously downhill under his influence.

Very intriguing...... GWTW is one of my absolute favorites, I've read it several times, but, even as much thought and analysis as I've given to the characters of Rhett and Scarlett, I've never thought of their relationship in quite this light...... I don't know that I totally agree, but your points are interesting nonetheless.

So..... my list of hunks is quite short. It's been many, many years since any character in a book made my heart beat (I guess I'm getting hard as I get older! ha!). And I'm unfamiliar with many of the characters others have named. These are the ones that come immediately to mind (I may think of others to add later):

1. Rhett Butler (natch)
2. John of Gaunt in Katherine

3. Percey Blakeney in The Scarlett Pimpernel (I love the contrast of his assumed foppish, inane persona with his true character of brilliance and bravery. Plus he was rich. :) )

4. Anton in Summer of My German Soldier (I don't think he was supposed to be a hunk, but he was the first male character in a book that I remember seriously falling in love with -- at about age 13, I think.)

5. Byron Henry in The Winds of War
Last edited by Michy on Tue August 31st, 2010, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue August 31st, 2010, 10:29 am

Can I add Nathaniel Bonner from "Into the Wilderness"?
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Postby Russ Whitfield » Tue August 31st, 2010, 11:00 am

....and there's no historical babes thread!

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Tue August 31st, 2010, 3:25 pm

That's probably because we men are outnumbered on this forum by a considerable margin! Let's start one:
Angelique in all Sergeanne Golon's books.
Boudica in Manda Scott's Dreaming quartet.
Lysandra in a certain person's Gladiatrix.
The young Ayesha in H Rider Haggard's She.
Arwen in LOTR (only because of Liv Tyler!).
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue August 31st, 2010, 3:28 pm

"Russ Whitfield" wrote:....and there's no historical babes thread!

Feel free to start one anytime :p
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Postby Russ Whitfield » Tue August 31st, 2010, 4:09 pm

There's a book called "The Mouse God" by Susan Curran. Its set during the Trojan War and the depiction of Chryseis used to make me go all bouncy in my dreams.

I always imagined Auriane from the Donna Gillespie's "The Light Bearer" to be really be really beautiful (but not sexy).

Red Sonya - Don't spill her pint. There's just something about those amazons, I think...

Cheers

Russ

(and thanks Ben - Lysandra loves ya).

Return to “Chat”