Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hunks in History

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Hunks in History

Postby Misfit » Mon September 8th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Who are the men in your historical novels that make you swoon?

• Jamie Fraser from the Outlander Series (DUH!)
  • William Marshal The Greatest Knight
  • John Fitzgilbert A Place Beyond Courage
  • Llewelyn Fahr Here Be Dragons
  • Llewelyn The Last The Reckoning

lindymc
Reader

Postby lindymc » Mon September 8th, 2008, 12:37 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Who are the men in your historical novels that make you swoon?

Misfit, I agree completely with your 5 choices, and would only add Rhett Butler. Don't you think it is interesting that of your five choices, four of them were real persons??

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Mon September 8th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Jofrey de Peyrac (from the Angelique novels)
William Marshal (I suspect that he's going to be on quite a few of these lists!)
Ian de Vipont (from the Roselynde novels)
Llewelyn Fawr (from Here be Dragons)
Fitzwilliam Darcy & Colonel Brandon (from JA's works)
Vicomte de Valmont (from Dangerous Liaisons) and his real life counterpart, the Duc de Richelieu

I know there's been other men who have made my toes curl, but I can't think of anyone right at the moment.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon September 8th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Crap! I forgot Rhett Butler and Ian De Vipont! Shows me for posting so early in the morning. :) :p :o

Interesting indeed that four of them were the real thing.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I rather liked John can't-remember-his-last-name from Bristow's Jubilee Trail. But I think Rhett Butler was an idiot. If he wanted Scarlett to grow up, why did he indulge her so as to keep her a brat? Her character went seriously downhill under his influence.

Also liked Alex Randall from Shadow of the Moon.

I did like Jamie from Outlander, but haven't got around to the rest of the series yet.

This isn't HF, but I always had a thing for Faramir in Lord of the Rings. Way more interesting than Aragorn, although the movie did a lot to humanize that character.
I like characters with difficulties and backstory. I would have liked Dunnet's Lymond and Nicholas about 20 years ago, but at the current level of experience their psychological makeup kept falling into incongruity and ruining the flow of the story.

It took a while, but Cecilia Holland's Richard from Great Maria got me when he confessed to his wife that even during the two years they were separated, he had never looked at another woman. You could see that for all his pride, violent nature and imperfections, he was being as loving as he knew how.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Funnily enough, the first book character I fell in love with was Aragorn in Lord of the Rings! Viggo Mortensen who plays him in the film does a good job, but he doesn't look so attractive in other films which I've seen him in. Mind you, if you're talking about the film, Sean Bean wins hands down with me! :D :D

From the books I've read recently, it has to be Jamie Fraser!! For some reason his character stays with me long after I've finished the book. I've got A Breath of Snow and Ashes to read and have the next one on pre-order (I've got a long wait, I know!!). Mr Darcy in Pride & Prejudice was always a favourite, too. And John Dexter in Noel Barber's Tanamera, a favourite book of mine.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Three 'hunks' that spring to mind are the following:

Luke Ansell from Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow

Alexander Solarin from The Eight by Katherine Neville

Ranulf Fitzwilliam from Jerusalem by Cecelia Holland
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:29 pm

John de Gael from "Kathryn In the Court of Six Queens" by Anne Merton Abbey.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon September 8th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Henry Tilney! I just love him! He's so wonderful! *sigh*

Oh, and I love Mr. Knightley, but only as played by Jeremy Northam. I'm sure there are others, but those are the first to come to mind.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon September 8th, 2008, 8:31 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Who are the men in your historical novels that make you swoon?

That list will pretty much do me! Although I would definitely add John Thornton as portrayed by Richard Armitage in the mini-series North and South.
Last edited by diamondlil on Mon September 8th, 2008, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”