Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NaNoWriMo 2010

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 23rd, 2010, 3:21 am

Thanks. I just had another one. It's lots of fun. Didn't know I had it in me.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Wed November 24th, 2010, 1:43 am

That is truly what I love about NaNoWriMo--those days of --'wow! the words flew from my fingers.' Plus it often takes the plot in directions you weren't prepared for and your characters take charge of the book instead of doing your bidding. I generally find that's a good thing :)

Thanks Julianne. I was surprised too about the word count. I don't know enough about the publishing world to know if that is more the norm now? But that's what he said so that's what I did . . . we'll see if anything comes of it.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 26th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Verified yesterday. Didn't think I'd make the 50,000 this year.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri November 26th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Congratulations!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 26th, 2010, 7:28 pm

Congrats, LovesHistory! I'm still hoping, after a few days of interruptions.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat November 27th, 2010, 1:31 am

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun November 28th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Well, I have fallen completely off the wagon and am now lying in the dust...a combination of suddenly getting very busy at work, plus realising I have to do something about Christmas. Congrats to LoveHistory and everyone else who has achieved their goals!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon November 29th, 2010, 7:04 am

It should still be possible for me to squeak through the finish line with 50,000 words, but only if I have a couple of magnificent days. Interruptions keep coming up. But there's no way I would ever have written so much this month without NaNo, and now that I have established a certain momentum, I should be able to keep going through December and, perhaps, finish a complete first draft by year's end - I love it!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 2:04 pm

...total collective word count for 2010.

Significantly higher than last year's.

Congratulations to all my fellow winners! I see you made it, Margaret. :D

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 4:35 pm

I did indeed - though I wasn't sure it would happen until the next-to-last day, when I wrote 3,000+ words. Now the real test begins - getting the rest of the first draft written, and then revising and polishing. But NaNo gave me a huge boost. I wouldn't be where I am without it.

Congrats, too, to all you guys who wrote a lot, but didn't top the magic number. I'll bet you wrote a lot more in November than you otherwise would have! Keep it up, and you'll have a complete manuscript pretty soon (maybe before I do).

My cat Boris has a new behavior. If I am late with his breakfast or he wants my attention in some other way (though what could be more important than breakfast?), he reaches up and, very gently, taps me on the elbow with one paw. Time to quit all less important activities and feed the cats!

Return to “The Craft of Writing”