Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NaNoWriMo 2010

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat November 13th, 2010, 1:19 am

I got to 7,257 and then fell off the wagon. I need to get back on but I've been really disorganised this week.

I hope mine isn't going to be too long either. I'm aiming for 100,000 words and hoping it doesn't overrun by much, but it's too early to tell.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat November 13th, 2010, 5:26 pm

Mine is just over 60,000 and it's the longest thing I've written to date.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat November 13th, 2010, 5:47 pm

At week's end, I was pretty close to my target, and even a little ahead, I think. But the Orycon Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention is taking place in my home town, Portland, Oregon, this weekend, so I've been doing that instead of writing. Hopefully, I will start catching up on Monday.

Orycon is quite an interesting hybrid of a writer's workshop and a dress-up fair. One of the presentations was billed as an opportunity to ask a panel of scientists questions about how the real science works for situations that might arise in your Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel. I had an electromagnetism question - my character is building a mechanism that allows him to make something hover - but it was apparently not funny enough, and I had to wait and get an answer individually after the session was over. Other people were asking questions about things like where the extra socks go when you put two in the wash and only one comes out.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat November 13th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Obviously the missing sock is trapped in the space/time continuum. ;)

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun November 14th, 2010, 1:43 am

I had a nearly all-day meeting for our children's museum strategic plan (I'm the president of the Board), so writing didn't happen today, but I'm ahead so I'll try to jump in tomorrow where I left off.

On a side note re word count: my agent had me cut 20,000 words (from 103,000 to 83,000) before he wanted to send out my latest book. I was surprised but at the same time it wasn't the first I'd heard that 'readers want shorter, more simple books'. Of course, it also allows them to publish books with fewer pages and charge the same, but then, I'm a cynic :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun November 14th, 2010, 2:50 am

I wonder if ebooks will change that? At the rate of increase, industry insiders are giving it from 4 to 7 years before more than half of all sales are e-books. And then word count might not matter so much as word-of-mouth.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 3:09 am

I just had the best writing day I think I've ever had. 5,005 words. Never done that before. It's awesome.

My novel's almost finished too. There's very little plot left.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 6:15 pm

That is awesome, LovesHistory - congrats! I'm running behind, myself, but not much behind. If I could do a 5000-word day, I would catch up. Something to aim for!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]
On a side note re word count: my agent had me cut 20,000 words (from 103,000 to 83,000) before he wanted to send out my latest book. I was surprised but at the same time it wasn't the first I'd heard that 'readers want shorter, more simple books'. Of course, it also allows them to publish books with fewer pages and charge the same, but then, I'm a cynic :) [/quote]

Wow, 83,000 seems so short for hf! Maybe I should revise my goal of 130,000.

Congrats, Sarah, on reaching the NaNo finish line! I'm barely at 6000 words!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm

Congrats on your awesome writing day, LoveHistory!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Return to “The Craft of Writing”