Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NaNoWriMo 2010

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 1:08 am

I will applaud for sane and attainable any day!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 3:48 am

Well, the site is loading slower than molasses, but today I got in another 1,348. Not as fast as I'd hoped, but on the other hand, I'm really pleased with the quality of what I got done.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Wed November 3rd, 2010, 5:39 am

And probably more than you would have written without NaNo!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 5th, 2010, 3:24 pm

I generally consider more people participating in something as horizon-broadening as NaNo to be a good thing, but apparently the servers disagree. Don't remember this many problems last year.

Anybody else considering donating just to try and help fix this for next year?

Editing: ok, eating words somewhat. Appears the problem is fixed. Pages now load faster than snail's pace. Hope it lasts.

I'm not very optimistic today.
Last edited by LoveHistory on Fri November 5th, 2010, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Fri November 5th, 2010, 4:34 pm

I always donate when I participate. It's in no way required, but I want to encourage it's continuance. Even my 13 year old son was inspired to participate this year--he wrote 1000 words the other day and I tried not to stand up and do a little jig :) Well worth the $10.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 5th, 2010, 8:57 pm

I have given up on trying to load the nano site. But it has given me a certain amount of motivation to get on with the WIP in spite of the many distractions of my normal life. So that part, at least, has worked.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Fri November 5th, 2010, 10:45 pm

The NaNo site is working much better now, MLE. I'd encourage you to give it another try.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri November 12th, 2010, 2:52 pm

How is NaNo going, everyone? I've reached close to 5000 words, which although paltry in comparison to some, is an accomplishment for me. I think I've only not written two days so far. I find the contest and companionship great for motivation and daily discipline.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 12th, 2010, 8:47 pm

I'm actually ahead for my goal this year. I'm even working on non-NaNo writing as well.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 12th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I'm just plodding along. But I am back to my pre-slump pace of around 5K a week. As for Nano, instead of trying to figure out the site, I'm spending the time writing instead. I was really doing it as NanoFImo and the WIP is now at 72K. Which is a problem, because it's only at the half-way mark, and 144K finished is too many words.

I'm miserly with descriptions and don't info-dump history or settings. But even with all that, the plot has to be intricate because the history is complicated, people are multi-faceted and daily life back then posed a LOT of problems. I can't skip steps in the plot; and besides, I only include scenes that are pivotal action and/or emotion-wringing moments.

I don't seem to be able to write short books. I have four others in various stages, and not one of them is under 115K, not even the YA that was supposed to be short and sweet.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri November 12th, 2010, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”