Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NaNoWriMo 2010

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu October 14th, 2010, 4:53 am

Okay, I'm in. I buddied everyone here, I think. I'm julianned if you'd like to add me.

Was hoping to get my draft done before Christmas, so maybe Nano is what I need!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 1st, 2010, 3:29 pm

It's November, and I'm really going to try to 'win' this thing. So I won't be posting much. I've been blaming the granddaughter for my drop in wordcount, but if I were honest, I'd have to include the internet.

Good luck to all participants -- I will be dropping into the Nano site daily to post my wordcount. I'm MLE if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Mon November 1st, 2010, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon November 1st, 2010, 7:06 pm

Yes, good luck everyone! I can't get onto the site at the moment, it seems to be overloaded, but I hope to post my first word count later today.

I'll be dropping in here throughout the month too, so leave a message here if you're feeling fed up.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 1st, 2010, 11:44 pm

Site is down. Majorly down. One minute I was on the Forums front page and the next I got an error message from Yahoo! On the upside, typing the URL in the address bar now gets me to a page that is blank except for the words "It works!"

Finally settled on my goal. 25,020 words or finish the book, whichever comes first. Working on my contemporary mainstream novel from last year. Made today's wordcount and got some awesome feedback on the first 17 chapters.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 12:24 am

Dang, I can't get the site to load, and once it did, when I tried to enter my wordcount, it crashed. So I'm putting it here: 1093 so far. I hope to get more in after dinner.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:49 am

I can't get the site to load either. 1,857.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 3:06 am

Way to go Miss Moppet!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 6:46 am

The site is back up. Must be a huge number of participants this year all trying to load their word counts at once. I thought I was doing pretty darn well at 2809 words - but Dr. Sarah's way ahead of me at over 4000!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

[quote=""SarahWoodbury""]Way to go Miss Moppet![/quote]

I was only aiming for 500, so I'm quite pleased.

I set aside two hours to write but ended up just sitting there for the first hour and then once I'd got started, I didn't want to stop and ended up staying up way too late. Hope I can get started quicker this evening.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 12:54 pm

I wrote 835 yesterday. My daily goal is 834. A sane and attainable goal for me this year.

Return to “The Craft of Writing”