Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Wars of the Roses

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Stranger by Kate Riordan & Did You See Melody by Sophie Hannah (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I have House of Lanyan on my TBR pile - is it one of those books which you either love or hate?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:34 pm

There's Lady of the Roses by Sandra Worth. I thought it was a decent read. Not the best I've ever read but good!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:I have House of Lanyan on my TBR pile - is it one of those books which you either love or hate?

I've read other books by Anand and enjoyed them very much. This one I just found way too predictable I could see every plot twist coming a mile away. That, and the fact that I didn't care for any of the characters just made for a very blah read for me.

Although it could just be me. Everyone has gone gaga over Mistress of the Sun and me, well it made the list. :) :p

Juniper
Scribbler
Interest in HF: I studied English Literature and History at college. Historical fiction blends my two passions together in one neat package.

Postby Juniper » Wed September 10th, 2008, 1:56 am

I loved the trilogy by Posie Graeme-Evans about Edward IV, Elizabeth Woodville and the fictional illigetimate daughter of Henry VI. All three books gripped me from start to finish.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:14 am

I really hated the first half of the first book in the Posie Graeme-Evans trilogy, then loved the second half. I liked the second book but for some reason haven't been inspired to pick up the third yet.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:38 am

I lovd reading the Posie Graeme-Evans trilogy, even though the first half of the first book was a bit disturbing.

Marg, the third book is certainly worth reading too.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed September 10th, 2008, 8:35 am

The author plays very fast and loose with the history doesn't she? I've read and been underwhelmed by the second one - The Exiled - and was very surprised to come across a detailed scene with a prosperous Jew - 150 years after the Jews were all expelled from England. I also understand from friends who know the history of the time better than me that the actual likelihood of Henry VI having a bastard daughter are very remote and totally out of known character.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Wed September 10th, 2008, 11:12 am

Yes, you have a point there EC2.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Wed September 10th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Henry VI with a bastard daughter! That does seem preposterous. I'm not an expert in this period, but he seems to have been (a) so mindlessly pious he would have been happier as a monk and (b) so mentally frail for most of his life that he was kept on a pretty tight rein by his wife and counsellors.

Perhaps we should have a thread on preposterous historical novels, as there are quite a few of them. One which I thought was particularly ridiculous (I don't recall the author or title) was set during the Civil War between Stephen and Matilda and based on the theory that they were secretly in love with each other.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed September 10th, 2008, 10:42 pm

"Margaret" wrote:Perhaps we should have a thread on preposterous historical novels, as there are quite a few of them. One which I thought was particularly ridiculous (I don't recall the author or title) was set during the Civil War between Stephen and Matilda and based on the theory that they were secretly in love with each other.

I've read that book and it's sequel. Don't forget that the author made Henry Stephen and Maude's child :eek: :eek: I read the sequel as well and that was even worse. She had Eleanor going on Crusade and having icky sexual type stuff going on with her uncle.

Return to “Later Medieval”