Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon October 4th, 2010, 2:18 pm

There wasn't a rape scene in Trade Wind-- it happened off-stage, so to speak. The problem was how the rape worked out in the plot. Realistically, rape doesn't make women fall in love with their rapists, but in fiction, it frequently does.

There are psychological and programming reasons for this; rape fantasies are extremely common among women, hence the popularity of the theme in make-believe situations -- the same kind of twisting that produces S & M and the like. The problem is that none of these things 'work' outside of fantasy, and that to the degree they are indulged, tend to interfere with real-life sexual satisfaction with a partner.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon October 4th, 2010, 4:30 pm

I think I read all of MM Kaye's books as soon as they came out in paperback and enjoyed them all although I found the mysteries rather light.

Although I enjoyed Far Pavilions, the early part of it was so reminiscent of Kipling's Kim (which I loved) that I didn't take it too seriously until the later chapters.

However, on the Kim theme, I did later read Imperial Agent and (what I thought was called the Last Viceroy but I think Amazon has as the Last Victory - but I may be mistaken) by T N Murari which uses Kim as the main character but in a later time frame and I really enjoyed these.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 11th, 2010, 6:44 pm

A friend at Goodreads sent me a link to covers for Max Ginsburg and I found a lovely one for Shadow of the Moon. I don't want to copy the images here so just head on over to this site to see the cover and the original artwork. And do browse around the others, they are gorgeous. Loved the Zemindar one.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 11th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Yes, they are gorgeous. It makes you want to visit these places!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue October 12th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Yes, the two Indian covers are wonderfully exotic. I prefer the medieval chronicle look of my cover of Mary Lide's Ann of Cambray though :)
I posted it here:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... =mary+lide

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue October 12th, 2010, 5:42 pm

What a pretty cover, Annis.

JaneRob
Scribbler

Shadow of the Moon

Post by JaneRob » Wed November 10th, 2010, 5:28 am

I read this years ago. I lost my original copy and only a few years back managed to pick one up from a second hand bookshop. I also have The Far Pavilions, but Shadow of the Moon was recommended to me at the time as being relevant to my family history. No doubt, Grandma and Grandpa Styles knew the Kaye's. They lived through that uprising and my Grandmother used to tell me tails about Grandma Styles who lived in India, and Grandpa was a soldier for the East India Company for something like 20 years. This book has personal meaning for my family.

My daughter who writes and is as yet unpublished, wants to write about my family during this period, when she gets time that is.

There are so many reason's for me to have a copy of this book. The description of life in Lucknow, you can just picture the whole scene so vividly. What happened allowed my family to understand our love and involvement with the country, some of us have been back there. I lived near Bombay for six months thirty years ago, and whilst there l felt l knew the countryside so well. I think it was this book that led me to search out other historical novelists.

Return to “Feature of the Month”