Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 7th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I just read Georgette Heyer's Royal Escape about Charles II. Not the most exciting book, but a lot of historical detail about the people and events in a 6-week period of his life just after his defeat by Cromwell.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu October 7th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I'm taking the following with me on our trip (which leaves tonight!!)

Virgin and the Crab by Robert Parry
Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne by David Starkey
Daughter of Lir by Diana Norman

Not sure if I'll get through all of them or not. Most of tonight will be spent (hopefully) sleeping on the plane but then there is that 9 hour flight back. Even though we will be driving a lot (and I usually read on car trips) I probably won't this time since there will probably be stuff to see and I'll have to help my husband navigate and remind him to stay to the left!

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu October 7th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Hope you have a great trip Tanzanite :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 7th, 2010, 8:18 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Speaking of Stuarts (although I mean England Stuarts, not Egypt)- does anyone have some good recommendations for books written about that time period or about the House of Stuarts?[/quote]
Elizabeth Goudge, Child From the Sea, is about Charles II's early years in exile.

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Thu October 7th, 2010, 8:55 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Who's in that one? I've never read it.[/quote]

The Nubian Pharaoh Piankhy (Piy, Piyi, Piye). 752bc-721bc
Alea Jacta Est

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu October 7th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Just about to begin 'Ever After' by Elswyth Thane, number 3 in the Williamsburg series :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu October 7th, 2010, 9:32 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Just about to begin 'Ever After' by Elswyth Thane, number 3 in the Williamsburg series :) [/quote]

I didn't care for this one quite as much as the first two -- curious to know what you think. I have just one more book to read and then I'll start #4, The Light Heart. :)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri October 8th, 2010, 1:24 am

The Usurper by Rowena Daniels (fantasy)
Last edited by princess garnet on Fri October 8th, 2010, 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Fri October 8th, 2010, 3:14 am

Just finished and loved Lake in the Clouds (#3 of 6 in Into the Wilderness series). Also, just finished a non-HF "WWW Wake" by Robert J Sawyer. Listened to it on a car trip with my husband and we both found it interesting, enjoyable and worth going on with the next in the trilogy.

Just started Rory Clements' Martyr.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri October 8th, 2010, 3:21 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Forever Queen is the US version of The Hollow Crown about Queen Emma.[/quote]
Thank you for the info! I started to read the book and then turned to something else. The stacks of TBR I have in this house is scandalous!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Return to “Archives”