Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Gabriella
Scribbler

Post by Gabriella » Mon October 4th, 2010, 11:46 pm

I just picked up 'I, Elizabeth' by Rosalind Miles, I haven't read any of her work before and I am excited about this one. :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 5th, 2010, 12:21 am

A House of Her Own by Marcia Rose. New York, 140 years, female centered I think. This might interest Divia, more later. For a book published in 1990, my copy even smells new and doesn't appear to have ever been read.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Tue October 5th, 2010, 2:05 am

Right now I'm reading Susan Wiggs' Chicago fire trilogy, and enjoying it immensely.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 5th, 2010, 2:52 am

The Queen's Sorrow by Suzannah Dunn. Wonderful, accurate detail. Plodding plot. Waiting for something to happen, which is what the MC is also doing. Problem is, I'm half-way through, still waiting.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 5th, 2010, 8:55 am

I'm going to start London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins this evening.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue October 5th, 2010, 11:09 am

Just started a re-read of The Return from Troy by Lindsay Clarke (for a book group read).

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue October 5th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Finished Matterhorn last night, a novel about a company of marines fighting in Vietnam during the monsoon season of 1968/69. I think it's an noteworthy addition to the canon of war fiction out there. It's one of the most thought-provoking and discussable books I've read in a while. I think I need a rest after this one, though.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue October 5th, 2010, 2:16 pm

"The Indifferent Stars Above" (Daniel James Brown) - hyped as being "The harrowing saga of a Donner Party bride"

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Tue October 5th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Just finished up Roman Blood by Steven Saylor yesterday and immediately started 2 books, Fall of Giants (hardback) and Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead (paperback). Why two books, you ask? Hardcovers are too difficult to lug around, so I only read them at home...or the laundromat :p , whereas I take paperbacks everywhere!

BTW, It's hard to remember who spells their name Steven and who spells it Stephen! Wonder why there's two different spellings anyway? Anyone know?

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue October 5th, 2010, 3:22 pm

[quote=""laktor""]BTW, It's hard to remember who spells their name Steven and who spells it Stephen! Wonder why there's two different spellings anyway? Anyone know?[/quote]

I imagine Stephen is the original spelling as adapted from Latin (Stephanus?).

But English is not that comfortable with an 'f' sound in that sort of position and must have quickly converted it to a 'v' sound (we're happy with an f at the end such as leaf but in the middle of a word it often changes to v, as in leaves, etc.)
This must have led to many spelling the name in a way that reflected its pronunciation, so now we're left with two alternate spellings.

I'm sure an actual linguist/phonetician can provide a proper answer.

Return to “Archives”