Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Tish437
Scribbler

Post by Tish437 » Sun October 24th, 2010, 3:18 pm

I'm reading a book by Deanna Raybourne, her stand-alone book, that takes place in Transylvania. I think it's called The Dead Walk Fast or something like that (I left it out in the car). It is very good, perfect for the month of October. :D

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun October 24th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Having a brief break from HF and reading Terry Pratchett's 'Sourcery', one of the Discworld novels.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun October 24th, 2010, 7:51 pm

I'm 200pp from the end of Kate Morton's The Distant Hours and completely engrossed. Tempted to take tomorrow off work so I can finish, but my coworkers might not appreciate that!

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun October 24th, 2010, 9:43 pm

100 pages into Legacy by Susan Kay, and after a fast forward through several years of very eventful history it's just starting to really get going.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 24th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Just finished Peter Walker's The Courier's Tale, the story of two historical figures from the Tudor period, Cardinal Reginald Pole and his all-purpose confidential agent, Michael Throckmorton. I enjoyed it as a refreshing look at the English Reformation set into motion by Henry VIII"s Act of Supremacy, as seen through its flow-on effect in Europe.

I'm irritated by Amazon reviews, though, which have turned discussion of the book into a nyah-nyah contest about whether this book or Mantel's Wolf Hall is the better. Both are completely different in style and intention, so it's a ludicrous argument.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun October 24th, 2010, 10:39 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I'm 200pp from the end of Kate Morton's The Distant Hours and completely engrossed. Tempted to take tomorrow off work so I can finish, but my coworkers might not appreciate that![/quote]

Very jealous! I can't wait for my copy to get here.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon October 25th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I got distracted from reading Last Queen at the beginning of the school year. Now back to reading and absolutely loving it. I know a ton about Juana's sister Catherine, and that time period with her as the main character. Im enjoying learning about the same time period through her sister's life. I can already see why she was called 'mad'. History at that time was written by the church and by men. Im glad an author like CW was able to flesh the truth out.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon October 25th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Just started 'Spartacus' by Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon October 25th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I got distracted from Waltari's The Adventurer but finally finished it this morning and enjoyed it as a historical adventure yarn. If you've read any of his other books, it's fairly typical of his novels in terms of characterization and themes and his main characters interacting with a menagerie of historical figures.

Annis said:
Just finished Peter Walker's The Courier's Tale... I enjoyed it as a refreshing look at the English Reformation set into motion by Henry VIII"s Act of Supremacy, as seen through its flow-on effect in Europe
Waltari's Adventurer is an example of what was happening in Europe, particularly in Germany, just a decade prior to Henry's Act of Supremacy. For example, the characters have encounters with Martin Luther, Charles V, Paracelsus, and a host of other historical figures. I thought it was interesting for how it handled the German Peasants War in the 1520s. I believe you mentioned having the sequel. I don't have it but am interested in it. I believe that one takes the main characters to the court of the Sultan, Suleiman, which makes sense given how they are peripherally caught up in the conflicts between Charles V and Frances I in this one.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon October 25th, 2010, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]100 pages into Legacy by Susan Kay, and after a fast forward through several years of very eventful history it's just starting to really get going.[/quote]

This one is on my library list, after reading so many positive remarks about it here. I also have another one by this author on my list, titled Phantom; it's apparently a re-telling of The Phantom of the Opera. That one interests me because although I like Leroux's Phantom (I've read it twice) I don't think it's particularly well-written. So I'm curious to see what another writer does with the story.....

Return to “Archives”