Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat October 16th, 2010, 8:49 pm

I've finished "The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace" by Lucy Worsley (351pgs, 2010)~.

A very interesting and fascinating look at the lives of George I and George II while they inhabited Kensington Palace. Extremely well written and enjoyable.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun October 17th, 2010, 4:28 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've just finished the brilliant London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins [/quote] I just picked up a copy of this (a 1950s paperback). Sounds like I may want to bump it up on my TBR.......

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun October 17th, 2010, 9:31 am

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Michy, when you get round to reading it! The characters are so very well drawn and diverse.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 17th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Starting Brian Wainwright's The Adventures of Alianore Audley.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

CindyInOz
Reader

Post by CindyInOz » Mon October 18th, 2010, 12:38 am

I finished my last Susanna Kearsley (Season of Storms) over the weekend. For something different, I started Johanna Moran's The Wives of Henry Oades yesterday. I'm 150 pages in and so far it is one of the saddest books I've ever read. It has been nothing but sorrow and tragedy from page 1, yet I cannot put it down, the tale is so engrossing.

Can someone who's read it please tell me at least one good thing is going to happen before I reach the end??

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 18th, 2010, 1:21 am

[quote=""CindyInOz""]I finished my last Susanna Kearsley (Season of Storms) over the weekend. For something different, I started Johanna Moran's The Wives of Henry Oades yesterday. I'm 150 pages in and so far it is one of the saddest books I've ever read. It has been nothing but sorrow and tragedy from page 1, yet I cannot put it down, the tale is so engrossing.

Can someone who's read it please tell me at least one good thing is going to happen before I reach the end??[/quote]

*sits on hands to keep fingers off the keyboard*
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon October 18th, 2010, 8:48 am

I can't remember exactly but don't think it had an unhappy ending, in fact I think it was a little bizarre if I remember rightly. A bit of an odd set up! That's a slightly cryptic comment but I'm not saying any more as it may spoil it for you.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 18th, 2010, 11:11 am

[quote=""Susan""]Starting Brian Wainwright's The Adventures of Alianore Audley.[/quote]

I loved that one. It shows what you can do tongue in cheek when you know your history. One of my hall of fame novels!

I have just started Trade Winds by Christina Courtenay. So far so good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trade-Winds-Chr ... 272&sr=1-1
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon October 18th, 2010, 5:10 pm

At page 215, I have to set aside Falcones's La Mano de Fatima and sequeway into a review ARC I requested: Exit The Actress by Priya Parmar.

So far, it's very enjoyable. The author has taken an interesting, multi-faceted approach to Nell Gywn's oft-told tale, using diary entries, broadsheets, letters, and recipes.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon October 18th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Just finished 'Ever After' by Elswyth Thane. It seems like it's taken me forever to read it, but I've been hooked on the second season of True Blood. Enjoyed it a little less than the previous two novels in the series, they had more charm than this one, and when it got to the war in Cuba I felt lost to begin with. However I did like the twist with Bracken's wife near the end, and did ultimately like the introduction of the younger generation of characters, especially the dishy Bracken :D

Return to “Archives”