Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Greetings from Malaysia

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 30th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Hi and welcome. Glad you de-lurked.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 1:34 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Welcome, SD. Hope you enjoy it here!
[/quote]
Thanx n Hi, Vanessa. I think I shall.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 1:53 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]Hi Shield. Greetings from Prague.

Malaysia! Great. I lived in Malaysia for half a year back in '98. I was in Penang specifically. One of the greatest experiences of my life, I love everything about Malaysia. Where exactly are you from, if you dont mind me asking?

Just my opinion, but HF on Malaysia would be really interesting. It seems an untapped gold mine of potential. I only recall reading one HF book on Malaysia. I forget the name but it was set in the 1950s. As mentioned by another poster, Asian history is nowhere near as tapped out as European history (in English, of course).

Best of luck and I hope you stick around.

Just the mention of Malaysia reminds me of how much I miss the food. except the durian, of course :-)
[/quote]
Hi Keny. That's good to hear. Were you a student or just travelling there? I'm from Kota Bharu (it means 'New Fort' or 'New City', incidentally), Kelantan, on the northeastern coast, the opposite site of Penang. But I'm now working in Kuala Lumpur.

That was what I thought, and I haven't come across any HF based on ancient Malay/Malaysian history that comes anywhere close to the standard that you get from those coming from European or even West Asian history, like Persia or Egypt, that I've seen and bought from the stores. So I thought I'd give a try at being some sort of a trailblazer or something ha ha.

That book that you read, could it have been 'Harmony Silk Factory' by Tash Aw? He was a Malaysian student from the London School of Creative Writing or something, and I read that he won the Booker Prize for his effort.

You didn't acquire a taste for the durian? Now, what a big, big shame. Yeah I know, it smells disgusting to most unfamiliar souls, but it tastes divine actually.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 1:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Hi and welcome. Glad you de-lurked.[/quote]
Hi Misfit, thanx. So am I.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 1st, 2010, 3:04 pm

Hi Shield and welcome to the boards.
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 3:06 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Hello and welcome Shield![/quote]
Hi Looby, thanx.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 3:07 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Hi Shield and welcome to the boards.[/quote]
Hi Madeleine. Thank you.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri October 1st, 2010, 3:07 pm

Welcome Shield-of-Dardania!

I've never seen any HF in the American market about Malaysia. There is definite potential for it, in my opinion.

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri October 1st, 2010, 3:58 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Welcome Shield-of-Dardania!

I've never seen any HF in the American market about Malaysia. There is definite potential for it, in my opinion.[/quote]
Hi LoveHistory, thanx.

I'm hoping for something along that line too. I mean, we had Malay kingdoms and kings that were mentioned in ancient Chinese records as having interacted with the Sui and Tang dynasties.

Their names would all sound like Indian though, cos it was a time of Indian cultural dominance in South East Asia.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri October 1st, 2010, 5:08 pm

Hello and welcome!
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”