Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Comment for kitties

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Comment for kitties

Post by Misfit » Mon September 27th, 2010, 1:43 pm

It seems Avon is donating funds up to $3K for kitty rescue, the final figure based upon the number of comments. Details at Smart Bitches here. Please drop on by and help out.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon September 27th, 2010, 8:57 pm

There's not many causes closer to my heart than cat charities, my own three girl kitties were rescues! What a great idea, I've popped a comment up :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 27th, 2010, 9:55 pm

My little darlin' is a rescue kitty as well :)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon September 27th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Important cause. I feed ferals in my garden (all six, spayed, fat and happy) and several others in the park where I walk with my dog. Recently, we finally captured the mother and father pair whom I care most for - though feral, they've come to like me enough that I can pet them - and had them neutered / spayed; we also trapped all three of their recently born kittens, which was quite an experience. The last kitten was so canny, he evaded the traps until I just grabbed him one evening by his scruff and got him into a carrying case. He was not a happy camper - he hissed and howled, and I felt horrible for separating him from his parents - but since then, he's been neutered and it looks as if he'll eventually be deemed adoptable, like his siblings.

Still, it's an endless struggle up there to control the feral cat population and anything we can do to help cats is worth it.
Last edited by cw gortner on Mon September 27th, 2010, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 27th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Ferals can be socialized, but it takes time, patience and a very big cage to keep them in until they're ready for the big world of a new home. Even still though she goes to the beat of a different drummer than domesticated cats, hence the name :o

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue September 28th, 2010, 4:21 pm

All of my cats have been rescues, and I adore each and every one of them. Thanks for posting about this!

Return to “Chat”