Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Author Photos

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 25th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Just a little tidbit about Cartland, she was Princess Diana's step-grandmother. Her daughter Raine was Diana's stepmother.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat September 25th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Ohhh... Raine was the one Diana didn't esteem too highly, right? At least, if THE DIANA CHRONICLES are to be believed, and I'm assuming they are...
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 25th, 2010, 6:43 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Ohhh... Raine was the one Diana didn't esteem too highly, right? At least, if THE DIANA CHRONICLES are to be believed, and I'm assuming they are...[/quote]

Oui! That is what I heard ages ago when I collected everything I could get on Diana, her death was a huge blow to me, sigh.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat September 25th, 2010, 10:06 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Ohhh... Raine was the one Diana didn't esteem too highly, right? At least, if THE DIANA CHRONICLES are to be believed, and I'm assuming they are...[/quote]

Yes, supposedly Diana and her siblings referred to their stepmother as "Acid Raine." Behind her back, I'm sure. :D

The pictures of Dame Cartland don't come through on my home computer (a Mac) so I'll have to wait until I'm back at work on Monday to view them. I do remember seeing pictures of her before, she was quite something. Huge false eyelashes, tons of bling and the obligatory dog (a poodle, I think) ......

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun September 26th, 2010, 3:46 pm

I always remember Clive James' comment on Barbara Cartland. 'Her eyes resembled the corpses of two black crows that had crashed into a chalk cliff.'

It is difficult to get an author portrait right. With my last lot, I had to go to this house in umm... gads I've forgotten where, but somewhere in London the other side of Waterloo Bridge. The photographer had a house and studio there. We chatted in his kitchen over mugs of tea, then retired to his attic to do some shots. I didn't do any knuckle under the chin ones. Apparently sitting down and leaning forward over your folded arms is good for hiding saggy bits and double chins! Suspect that's what the knuckles are about - a form of facelift! The photographer - Charlie Hopkinson, then made up a CD of photos and sent them to my publisher. There's a selection and free to use where we want. http://www.charliehopkinson.com/ I'm not on his website, but he has a selection of writers.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun September 26th, 2010, 7:42 pm

The only thing I know about Barbara Cartland is that she was tremendously concerned about the plight of England's Gypsy children, who got very irregular schooling due to their constant moving around. She was incredibly generous in giving to causes to help remedy that.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Mon September 27th, 2010, 12:50 am

I seem to recall that many of the pictures on the back of Danielle Steele's novels had her dressed in outfits and in environments that sorta fit the setting of the book (i.e. on the back of her novel about a female pilot she was in a leather bomber jacket next to a plane).
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon September 27th, 2010, 3:32 am

[quote=""EC2""]The photographer - Charlie Hopkinson, then made up a CD of photos and sent them to my publisher. There's a selection and free to use where we want. http://www.charliehopkinson.com/ I'm not on his website, but he has a selection of writers.[/quote]

Other than one that made me go :eek: :eek: :eek:, these are all really excellent portraits. He obviously puts a lot of thought and creativity into them, and every one is a statement. I wish yours were on there, I would have liked to see it. :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon September 27th, 2010, 6:11 am

What a fun thread! Love the Barbara Cartland photos. Perhaps they are a form of charitable generosity in themselves, because they are so over the top they are fun to look at - and they make all the other author photos look sedate.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon September 27th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Ok, now that I can see the B. Cartland photos, I must comment. ;) The second one I don't think is so bad, really. It fits her persona of a fluffy, fairy tale romance writer. There is obviously a huge amount of re-touching and soft focus going on, but still, I think she looks nice, actually.

But that first one -- :eek: :eek: The green eyeshadow and red lipstick are awful, just awful. She makes herself look like a clown.

Return to “Chat”