Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu June 16th, 2011, 2:58 am

"Tanzanite" wrote:Anne of Hollywood by Carol Wolper. US release January 24, 2012.

The Other Boleyn Girl meets Candace Bushnell’s Trading Up as Carol Wolper, author of the bestselling novel The Cigarette Girl, re-tells the story of Anne Boleyn set in contemporary Los Angeles

Oh, um, sounds interesting, I think, hmm.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu June 16th, 2011, 3:00 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Oh, um, sounds interesting, I think, hmm.

SM

I have my doubts... :confused:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu June 16th, 2011, 3:03 am

"Misfit" wrote:I have my doubts... :confused:

Yeah, but I'll give it a chance unless someone beats me to it and says it's awful.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu June 16th, 2011, 8:50 am

Noooo!!! Mind you, wonder if she'll get a good lawyer.....(Anne that is).
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Thu June 16th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Given the nature of the history, it's hard to see how this will update. I'm intrigued, if only because it seems so unlikely a concept to try for and you kind of think "what're they thinking" and hoping against disaster ... but with y'all in being skeptical ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Thu June 16th, 2011, 11:40 pm

"Tanzanite" wrote:Anne of Hollywood by Carol Wolper. US release January 24, 2012.

The Other Boleyn Girl meets Candace Bushnell’s Trading Up as Carol Wolper, author of the bestselling novel The Cigarette Girl, re-tells the story of Anne Boleyn set in contemporary Los Angeles

Here's a little more information (and a preliminary cover):

Anne is like so many women found in big cities these days: In her late 20s, she’s full of ambition. She’s smart. Witty. In a town full of blondes with fake tits, she’s a brunette who can talk a guy’s game. Sports. Politics. Finance. She’s seductive without being slutty (in L.A. most women don’t know the difference) and she understands the big picture.

It’s this combination that catches the king’s attention. But who is a “king” these days? It’s a man with Rupert Murdoch’s resume in Brad Pitt’s body. Sounds like bliss but it’s dangerous bliss. What the king gives the king can take away… as true today as it ever was.

Cast of Characters:
Anne Boleyn: The "queen"
Henry: The "king"
Mary Boleyn: Anne's sister
Theresa Cromwell: Henry's advisor
Catherine: Henry's ex-wife
Carl Woosley: Henry's money manager
George Boleyn: Anne and Mary's brother
Lacy: George Boleyn's girlfriend
Larissa: Henry's paramour
Cliff: Theresa's paramour
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri June 17th, 2011, 8:43 am

Umm, Theresa Cromwell? I wonder if it's written with tongue -in -cheek, in which case it might just work as a bit of escapism; otherwise - aaaagh!
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Fri June 17th, 2011, 9:11 am

Susan Howatch wrote a modern version of Henry II's lot and did very well out of it a while back. It's not for me, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 4:13 pm

The Sister Queens by Sophe Perinot. US and UK release March 6, 2012.

Raised together at the 13th Century court of their father, Raymond Berenger, Count of Provence, Marguerite and Eleanor are separated by royal marriages—but never truly parted.

Patient, perfect, reticent, and used to being first, Marguerite becomes Queen of France. Her husband, Louis IX, is considered the greatest monarch of his age. But he is also a religious zealot who denies himself all pleasure—including the love and companionship his wife so desperately craves. Can Marguerite find enough of her sister’s boldness to grasp her chance for happiness in the guise of forbidden love?

Passionate, strong-willed, and stubborn, Eleanor becomes Queen of England. Her husband, Henry III, is neither as young nor as dashing as Marguerite’s. But she quickly discovers he is a very good man…and a very bad king. His failures are bitter disappointments for Eleanor, who has worked to best her elder sister since childhood. Can Eleanor stop competing with her sister and value what she has, or will she let it slip away?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 4:15 pm

The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig. US and UK release February 16, 2012.

As Napoleon pursues his plans for the invasion of England, English operative Augustus Whittlesby gets wind of a top secret device, to be demonstrated over the course of a house party at Malmaison. The catch? The only way in is to join forces with that annoying American socialite, Emma Morris Delagardie, who has been commissioned to write a masque for the weekend’s entertainment. Even so, it should leave plenty of alone time with Augustus’ colleague (and goddess), Jane Wooliston, who has been tapped to play the heroine. Or so Augustus tells himself. In this complicated masque within a masque, nothing seems to go quite as scripted… especially Emma.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”