Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue March 13th, 2012, 11:30 pm

"Tanzanite" wrote:The Unfaithful Queen by Carolly Erickson. US and UK release September 18, 2012.

Amid the turbulent, faction-ridden late reign of the fearsome Henry, eager high-spirited Catherine Howard caught the king's eye—but not before she had been the sensual plaything of at least three other men. Ignorant of her past, seeing only her youthful exuberance and believing that she could make him happy, he married her—only to discover, too late, that her heart belonged to his gentleman usher Tom Culpeper.

As the net of court intrigue tightens around her, and with the Tudor succession yet again in peril because of Prince Edward's severe illness, Queen Catherine struggles to give the angry, bloated and impotent king a son. But when her relations turn against her, she finds herself doomed, just as her cousin Anne Boleyn was, to face the executioner.

The Unfaithful Queen lays bare the dark underbelly of the Tudor court, with its sugared rivalries and bitter struggles for power, where a girl of noble family could find herself sent to labor among the turnspits in the kitchens or—should fortune favor her—be exalted to the throne.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri March 16th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I can't read her books anymore. The last few have been HORRIBLE.

In this one she will be preggers with the kings kid, sent off to die and then aliens will rescue her so her child can become the next king. :cool:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Sat March 17th, 2012, 2:21 am

"Divia" wrote:I can't read her books anymore. The last few have been HORRIBLE.

In this one she will be preggers with the kings kid, sent off to die and then aliens will rescue her so her child can become the next king. :cool:

I bought I a book she had written on Czarina Alexandra, and I really did not like it and never finished it. I won't be buying anymore.

Bec :)

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat March 17th, 2012, 11:59 am

"Divia" wrote:I can't read her books anymore. The last few have been HORRIBLE.

I've never read any of Carolly Erickson's fiction, and I never will. She should have stuck with her non-fiction, but I guess she was looking for the big bucks.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat March 17th, 2012, 12:43 pm

"Susan" wrote:I've never read any of Carolly Erickson's fiction, and I never will. She should have stuck with her non-fiction, but I guess she was looking for the big bucks.

As scorched as she gets for them in the reviews, you wonder why she keeps at it and her publishers let her.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat March 17th, 2012, 5:00 pm

"Misfit" wrote:As scorched as she gets for them in the reviews, you wonder why she keeps at it and her publishers let her.

Yeah, the reviews on her books are horrible. I dont understand how someone can contiune to get crappy reviews but her books are still published. I guess even though she gets bad reviews the $$ must be there.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat March 17th, 2012, 6:02 pm

"Divia" wrote:Yeah, the reviews on her books are horrible. I dont understand how someone can contiune to get crappy reviews but her books are still published. I guess even though she gets bad reviews the $$ must be there.

Erickson was a successful royalty non-fiction writer, so that must carry some weight, but you'd think her publishers would finally say enough is enough!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Sat March 17th, 2012, 6:46 pm

"annis" wrote:Just noticed that Christian Cameron (how does the man manage to turn out such a volume of books for goodness sake? And well-written ones, too) has a novel due out January 2012 about Alexander the Great....

And there he goes again :D

The Wine-Dark Sea by Christian Cameron
Publication Date: 13 September 2012
The third instalment in the epic story of Arimnestos, tracing the conflict between the Greeks and Persians.

Does he ever sleep? :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon March 19th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Son of Blood by Jack Ludlow. UK release May 28, 2012.

The first in the new Crusades trilogy and a follow-up to the popular Conquest series, in which the de Hauteville dynasty continues on its rise to ultimate influence

Under Robert Guiscard, the de Hautevilles have grown in importance and power throughout Italy and, through the Papacy, all of Christendom. Now it is Robert’s son Bohemund’s turn to take up arms – the opportunity to fight under the papal banner in the Holy Lands could bring him the glory and riches he desires and which have been cruelly denied him elsewhere.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon March 19th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Death in the Floating City by Tasha Alexander. US and UK release October 16, 2012.

The Huffington Post calls Tears of Pearl author Tasha Alexander "one to watch—and read" and her new Lady Emily mystery set in Venice proves it!

Years ago, Emily's childhood nemesis, Emma Callum, scandalized polite society when she eloped to Venice with an Italian count. But now her father-in-law lies murdered, and her husband has vanished. There's no one Emma can turn to for help but Emily, who leaves at once with her husband, the dashing Colin Hargreaves, for Venice. There, her investigations take her from opulent palazzi to slums, libraries, and bordellos. Emily soon realizes that to solve the present day crime, she must first unravel a centuries old puzzle. But the past does not give up its secrets easily, especially when these revelations might threaten the interests of some very powerful people.

Return to “General Discussion”