Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 31st, 2011, 8:49 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Divia - this one's for you!!

The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak. UK release March 27, 2012.

Behind every great ruler lies a betrayal. Eva Stachniak's novel sweeps readers into the passionate, intimate, and treacherous world of Catherine the Great, revealing Russia's greatest monarch from her earliest days in court, where the most valuable currency was the secrets of nobility and the most dangerous weapon to wield was ambition.

Two young women, caught in the landscape of shifting allegiances, navigate the treacherous waters of palace intrigue. Barbara, the narrator, is a servant who will become one of Russia's most cunning royal spies. Sophie is a naive German duchess who will become Catherine the Great. For readers of superb historical fiction, Eva Stachniak captures in glorious detail the opulence of royalty and the perilous loyalties of the Russian court.[/quote]

I thought the author sounded familiar - I have Garden of Venus (aka Dancing with Kings) on my TBR pile.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed April 6th, 2011, 9:50 pm

[quote=""Divia""]YAY. Finally. Looking forward to it. And I can't wait to see it in color.[/quote]

Oh, me, too!! I've been eagerly awaiting this one.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 15th, 2011, 5:10 am

For others (like Ariadne and me) who've been hanging out for the sequel to James Long's creepily compelling novel Ferney (review here at Reading the Past), I just spotted a listing which indicates the release date for The Lives She Left Behind has put forward to June, 2012.
http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9780751538878

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun May 15th, 2011, 7:04 am

The Piccadilly Plot (Thomas Chaloner #7) by Susanna Gregory, 19 January 2012

Image Thomas Chaloner is relieved to be summoned back to London. His master, the Earl of Clarendon, has sent him to Tangier to investigate a case of corruption. Chaloner will be glad to be home, to be reunited with his new wife, but the trivial reason for his recall exasperates him ? the theft of material from the construction site of Clarendon's embarrassingly sumptuous new house just north of Piccadilly. Within hours of his return, Chaloner considers these thefts even more paltry as he is thrust into extra investigations involving threats of assassination, a stolen corpse and a scheme to frame the Queen for treason. Yet there are connections from them all which thread through the unfinished Clarendon House...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun May 15th, 2011, 10:45 am

[quote=""annis""]For others (like Ariadne and me) who've been hanging out for the sequel to James Long's creepily compelling novel Ferney (review here at Reading the Past), I just spotted a listing which indicates the release date for The Lives She Left Behind has put forward to June, 2012.
http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9780751538878[/quote]

Thanks for the update, Annis! I'm still eagerly anticipating it and hope it will be worth the wait.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun May 15th, 2011, 11:36 am

Hurrah! I had it on pre-order this year and was very disappointed when it was cancelled. I loved Ferney!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed May 18th, 2011, 12:47 am

Prophecy: Death of an Empire by M.K. Hume. UK release January 5, 2012.

Merlin's epic quest continues as he journeys to Constantinople in search of his father.

Myrddion Emrys of Segontium is the product of a brutal rape, but when King Vortigern hints at his father's identity, Myrddion embarks on a journey across France and Italy to Constantinople. It is a voyage that is to turn the young healer into a man of great renown. Serving under General Flavius Aetius at the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains, Myrddion saves the lives of thousands of warriors and, on his arrival in Rome, he heals many more, including Cleoxenes, Envoy to Emperor Theodosius of the East, on his way to a delegation with Attila the Hun. But a deadlier conflict between Emperor Valentinian of the West and Senator Petronius Maximus is still to come and Myrddion must use all his strength to carry out his work in a world that is evil.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu May 26th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Empress of the Seven Hills by Kate Quinn Possibly April 2012

Image Powerful, prosperous, and expanding ever farther into the untamed world, the Roman Empire has reached its zenith under the rule of the beloved Emperor Trajan. But neither Trajan nor his reign can last forever…

Brash and headstrong, Vix is a celebrated ex-gladiator returned to Rome to make his fortune. The sinuous, elusive Sabina is a senator’s daughter who craves adventure. Sometimes lovers, sometimes enemies, Vix and Sabina are united by their devotion to Trajan. But others are already maneuvering in the shadows. Trajan’s ambitious Empress has her own plans for Sabina. And the aristocratic Hadrian—the Empress’s ruthless protégé and Vix’s mortal enemy—has ambitions he confesses to no one, ambitions rooted in a secret prophecy.

When Trajan falls, the hardened soldier, the enigmatic empress, the adventurous girl, and the scheming politician will all be caught in a deadly whirlwind of desire and death that may seal their fates, and that of the entire Roman Empire.

Looking forward to this one :) :) :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue May 31st, 2011, 9:05 pm

[QUOTE=emr;86043]Empress of the Seven Hills by Kate Quinn Possibly April 2012

I'm looking forward to this one, too! I loved Daughters of Rome. One of my favorite reads this year.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue May 31st, 2011, 10:08 pm

Eh, I'll pass on that one. I disliked how she used the different POVs.

She does crank them out though. 1 per year. :eek:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Discussion”