Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trip to England

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Fri September 10th, 2010, 1:55 am

"Michy" wrote:
And Ightham Mote plays in Anya Seton's Green Darkness, so if you liked that book then this might be of interest.....

Ightham Mote is not far from Knole which has wonderful 17th century state rooms. I saw them both in the same day.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri September 10th, 2010, 12:19 pm

I second Igtham Mote, Stirling and Avebury (much more atmospheric than Stonehenge, which has a very busy road running by it).

If you get to the Welsh borders, Ludlow, Goodrich and Chepstow are all great, castle-wise. I would also recommend Stokesay Castle, in the same neck of the woods. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stokesay-castle/

Grub-wise, if you get to Stirling, check out the Barnton Bar & Bistro
http://www.thebistro.co.uk/

In York, Betty's Tea Rooms are a must. Best cakes I've ever tasted :D
http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx
(If the main Betty's is too busy, there's a Little Betty's just around the corner)

BTW, if you're driving up to Scotland, I'd recommend taking the A1 rather than the M1 and/or M6. It's much less prone to traffic jams, a lot more scenic and just as quick (long sections of it are motorway).

Have a good trip!
Last edited by Leo62 on Fri September 10th, 2010, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Fri September 10th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Oh I was trying to remember the name of that place in York, yes, Betty's Tea Room!! We had some lovely snacks there and enjoyed people watching out their big windows.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri September 10th, 2010, 3:14 pm

To re-inforce what MM Bennett said about Stirling Castle being cold - in my experience, most castles (and quite a few stately homes) are cold! So take a sweater/fleece if you're visiting one.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Sat September 11th, 2010, 12:39 am

"parthianbow" wrote:I thought I'd throw in my tuppence ha'penny.
If there's a re-enactment at Hastings, GO TO IT! The guys who do that type of thing are always great fun, hugely knowledgeable and do accurate portrayals. It might help you avoid 2 nights in Maidstone, which, let us say, politely, is not the most picturesque of towns.

Rochester Castle - nor is Rochester. Picturesque, that is.

Ely Cathedral - stunning. Absolutely unmissable, IMHO.

York - ditto.

Bambaugh Castle - Bamburgh? Lovely!

Alnwick Castle - ditto.

Please, if in that area, at least try to go to one Roman fort (I know I'm biased) - Housesteads or Vindolanda are the best.

Edinburgh Castle - unmissable.
Palace of Holyroodhouse - great.

Stirling Castle - wonderful, esp for the statue of William Wallace.

Caernarfon Castle - amazing. On your way back in to England, call in to Avebury, which is far more atmospheric than Stonehenge, and has far less visitors.

Thanks for the comments - they are very helpful. It's OK if Maidstone isn't a great town - for us a hotel is just a place to sleep and take a shower. The primary consideration is that it's a Hilton (free night), near things we want to do (or on the way to one) and fits into the number of points I have in order to get as many free nights as possible!! So we're staying in some rather ordinary places...

I think we're going to check out the battle re-enactment - it's something my husband is interested in as well. I'm working on finalizing the "short list" which I"m sure will still be too long and I"ve had to make some hard choices.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Sat September 11th, 2010, 9:59 am

"Ash" wrote:Oh I was trying to remember the name of that place in York, yes, Betty's Tea Room!! We had some lovely snacks there and enjoyed people watching out their big windows.

Betty's is just wonderful. My family will make a special trip to Harrogate or York just to go there. It's not just the food, which is excellent, but the atmosphere which is elegant but cosy in a kind of 1930s retro way. Don't know what time of year you are going but I love the mulled wine on their Christmas menus. The queues can be long but it's always worth it.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Sat September 11th, 2010, 6:21 pm

We're going next month - we leave here on October 7. Here is my "planning" map (the push pins are hotels; the flags are place to see - all color coded...):

If anyone from outside the UK is visitng and planning on seeing a lot of historic sites, I highly recommend the British Heritage Pass. Only international buyers can purchase them and you can buy them online and have it sent to you before you leave. You can get 4, 7 or 15 days pass and it gets you entry to over 500 sites in the UK (the big cathedrals are excluded) but it includes the the major places (The Tower of London, Hampton Court, St Pauls, Leeds, Edinburgh Castle etc, but not Windsor for some reason) and lots and lots of lesser known ones. Besides saving money, the best thing is you don't have to wait in line to buy tickets!! We bought one last year and it was great so I just purchased ones for this year's trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M.M. Bennetts

Postby M.M. Bennetts » Sat September 11th, 2010, 6:25 pm

October eh? Think about bringing a light waterproof coat...

It can be truly pleasant in October. Then again...

princess
Reader

Postby princess » Sat September 11th, 2010, 7:00 pm

When you're in Scotland will you be visiting the Highlands proper, or stopping in Perthshire? The scenery alone north of Inverness is worth a wee road trip :)
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun September 12th, 2010, 10:35 am

"M.M. Bennetts" wrote:October eh? Think about bringing a light waterproof coat...

It can be truly pleasant in October. Then again...

Yes. It shouldn't be too cold, though, unless we have some freak weather conditions. Layers are a good idea!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Travel”